Arena 5.0 no DMX output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
GuruMeditation
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Arena 5.0 no DMX output

Post by GuruMeditation »

Hi there !
I am currently doing some test with arena 5.0, and I have a problem with the DMX output thru artnet.
No DMX signal is going out from resolume...
The log file says :
ScreenSetup: rj::ArtNet::initialize: Failed starting ArtNet node, error was: 'Failed to bind to socket 10048'.

Any help would be appreciated.
Checked the firewall etc, everything is fine, other programs are ok with DMX / Artnet output (mapio, Touch Designer)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Arena 5.0 no DMX output

Post by Zoltán »

the port is likely in use, switch off other programs that could use artnet output and restart arena.
maybe a clean system restart will be needed.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation »

Yes, thanks, stop all other software and reboot solved the problem.
But now I try to figure out something : why we are not able to change the port number and artnet IP in resolume ?
In fact I want to route my dmx to Touch Designer on the same PC, I can do it with mapio, TD takes the dmx input from mapio, so I can use it and add some channels (useful to control moving head, you get the color from mapio, and the pan/tilt from TD).
But is it not working with resolume. I can send dmx from mapio and TD to resolume, send DMX to TD from mapio, but impossible to get the DMX from Resolume in Touch Designer... Why ?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Artnet output in Resolume is broadcast. So there is no need to set up a specific IP and port like in unicast. It just sends data to all IPs, and whoever wants to listen picks it up.

Resolume is a little greedy when creating an Artnet port. This means that when creating an output, the IP of that computer can no longer be used for inputs in other apps or even Arena itself.

We have an open ticket to see if we can do anything to make setups like yours possible.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

How does resolume decide which NIC it will use for the artnet output?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Which what now?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

so if I have wifi and a wired ethernet, or two ethernet connections, so the machine has more than one IP address,
which network (IP) will resolume use for the artnet?

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

Joris wrote:Which what now?

Nic. Network interface card. Or maybe I missed a sarcasm filter!

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation »

Joris wrote:Artnet output in Resolume is broadcast. So there is no need to set up a specific IP and port like in unicast. It just sends data to all IPs, and whoever wants to listen picks it up.

Resolume is a little greedy when creating an Artnet port. This means that when creating an output, the IP of that computer can no longer be used for inputs in other apps or even Arena itself.

We have an open ticket to see if we can do anything to make setups like yours possible.
Thanks, I think it should be useful to have this kind of setup available
And then broadcast can also overload the network, so it should be nice to have more diffusion choices.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

GuruMeditation wrote: Thanks, I think it should be useful to have this kind of setup available
And then broadcast can also overload the network, so it should be nice to have more diffusion choices.
The maximum amount artnet data resolume can send now consumes about 28MegaBits/second.
That is for 256 universes (16 universes * 16 subnets ), 131072 channels total.
The refreshrate should be around 25 Hz.