No Piano in Avenue's midi application?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
agrabb
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

No Piano in Avenue's midi application?

Post by agrabb »

Hi,

I got Avenue recently, and wanted to map my midifighter to toggle on/off effects, but I dont seem to see an option for piano keys. I notice them when I select "edit application KEY map", but the option is not there during the midi map. Is piano not included for midi mapping in avenue?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: No Piano in Avenue's midi application?

Post by Joris »

Piano mode is available in both Avenue and Arena.

Piano mode is only available on UI controls like sliders and buttons when you map a Midi note shortcut to them.

Piano mode is not available when you map Midi cc shortcuts, because those are usually reserved for faders and rotaries.

Piano mode is not available on clip triggers. For clip triggers, you can set the clip itself to piano via Clip > Triggerstyle > Piano

Kaizen
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Kaizen »

I found a helpful tutorial on mapping Piano mode with keyboard shortcuts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxgI07vfrQ

BUT it appears agrabb is correct,
the option is not there during the MIDI map
joris, can you explain how to map piano mode to a MIDI button (not a knob or slider). Shouldn't this be supported?
Piano mode is only available on UI controls like sliders and buttons when you map a Midi note shortcut to them.
How do you "map a MIDI note shortcut"? Please explain, thanks!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If you are trying to map a clip trigger, piano mode is available via Clip > TriggerStyle > Piano. This is because clips can be triggered with mouse, midi, osc, dmx and keyboard.

If you are trying to map a button, make sure your midi controller is sending Midi notes, and not Midi ccs (control change). Some midi controllers insist to send cc values from a button, while Resolume expects buttons to send notes.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI#Messages
A MIDI message is an instruction that controls some aspect of the receiving device. (...) Examples include "note-on" messages which contain a MIDI note number that specifies the note's pitch, a velocity value that indicates how forcefully the note was played, (...) and control changes that allow adjustment of an instrument's parameters.

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

Is there a way to map only a midi controller for piano and then able to use the mouse to trigger Normal?
My work around is to add the same clip again with the other trigger style.

Joris

Post by Joris »

No, a clip trigger is either set to Piano or not. It can't be set to Piano for midi and Normal for something else.