Looking for Building Projection Animation Tutorials

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Looking for Building Projection Animation Tutorials

Post by Wasko »

Please correct me if this is the wrong section of the forum for this, as it is not completely Resolume related however I intend on using Resolume to do the final mapping.

I've been searching for tutorials and information about the techniques used in animation of large scale building projection mappings. I've got the absolute basics, but it seems like somewhat of a black art in the online tutorial world. Madmapper had released one tutorial going over some details, but very little in terms of some tips and techniques used in the actual animation of said projections (in After Effects, Cinema 4d, etc).

Any leads? Thanks :)

georgeberlin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Looking for Building Projection Animation Tutorials

Post by georgeberlin »

Here's a very technical description of the approach:

http://vvvv.org/documentation/how-to-pr ... at-surface

I don't do much building projection with 3D, but I get what they're saying here.
Animation Illustration Exhilaration!
Projection Mapping and Interactive Sculpture
http://www.georgeberlin.com

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Looking for Building Projection Animation Tutorials

Post by Oaktown »

Mapping the building is definitely something you can keep simple or go all out and map every single piece of architecture. The main thing for you though is to understand the relationship between your animations and your mapping.

You can create some of the animations directly in Resolume by using effects on clips and routing layer (or layer router that sum layers) to slices that are mapped to your building using your composition as a "painter's palette". Complex animations you see are usually built outside of the mapping software using After Effect or other animation software.

My recommendation would be to start with a very simple building and keep the mapping simple so that you can understand how to use your composition to create animations and effects in different areas using Arena 5.

Then when you're ready to go the more advance route, the first thing to do is for you to take photos from the perspective of the projector(s) so that you can use them to build your animations. This is easy to do in theory but complicated to setup when you're planning to do projections on a large public building that requires multiple projectors in a busy area. Then you would use the photo(s) as the background layer to build animation on. Once you've built your animation, you can use Arena 5 to map the artwork to the building by using as many slices and masks as you want to match the actual 3D architecture.

Hopefully this makes some sense and points you in the right direction.