Massive FPS drop on Blackmagic Live Input.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
fraktal
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Massive FPS drop on Blackmagic Live Input.

Post by fraktal »

Dear Miek,

Yes, we have web Nvidia driver on both servers.

Fraktal

miek

Post by miek »

Hello All,

I've just downgraded to Yosemite. Problem still exists.
Next time I'll try other Graphics card.
M

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

For the few that have responded recently. Please list your CPU that you are using.

Even the current best i5 desktop CPU only supports 16 PCIE lanes.

Using any high powered graphics card will automatically max out what is usable at the CPU level.

Any other card you put in there will have problems because there isn't enough processing power.

You need something with at least 20 PCIE lanes (1 16 lane graphics and 1 4 lane capture, 40 works best so you have room to work with)

miek

Post by miek »

Dear dirtyjohn_lv

In my case, this problem exists only on Hackintosh (Yosemite, El capitan). FPS comes down from 60 to 12-13 when Blackmagic turns on. Even when capture is the only active source on composition. Fps depends on resolution used. Higher resolutions makes more FPS drop. Capture still usable on SD resolutions (FPS comes down to 25-30frames). Strange thing is that Activity monitor do not shows noticeable processor or memory activity changes when captures turns on. In the same time, Wirecast works without any issues on the same resolutions on the same system, even when making output to virtual camera that can be used in resolume without fps lost. (of course there is a huge delay in almost 1 sec).

Not works output to Blackmagic also. There are no errors, but output stays black.

Another thing that I've noticed, that preview flickering from time to time, especially when previewing blackmagics. It looks like it turns of leaving checkers on the background for 1 or 2 frames and than turns on again.

That's the reasons why I think that the problem is somewhere in Nvidia driver or adapter. But still strange that Wirecast works ok... And more than 5 layers with Full HD content also plays on 50-60fps...

Concerning system report. It says that GTX960 uses only 8 PCI lanes, but this adapter works in power saving mode by default anyway, and uses only 8 PCI lanes until needed more.

There are no problems on the same machine when booted windows7 or windows10. Even when only 8 PCI lanes enabled. 3 inputs work together on FullHD, with 60fps.

Unfortunately I don't have graphics adapter "more" compatible with OSX to continue testing, but will do this if get Mac edition graphics adapter just to exclude versions with the wrong motherboard's kexts.

My system is:
ASUS Z87-PRO motherboard
i5 3200MHz
ASUS 960GTX
4+4GB RAM,
256GB Samsung EVO SSD
Blackmagic Decklink Dual SDI
Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K
1080P monotor,
1080P output.
OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite

Let me know if I can help you with any testing.

Best regards
Miek

P.S. Macbook Pro Retina (late2013) works ok with Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt on 60fps.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Ah Hackintosh. That makes sense. Because you're on a Hackintosh, you're using drivers that are not officially supported by Apple. These drivers don't support the hardware color space conversion that we use on images coming from the BM card.

In this case, BM's own software is completely lost and just says, screw it, and doesn't do anything. Resolume does a fall back to software conversion, making it considerably slower than what you can expect on supported hardware.

If you like, you can contact us directly, because it should be relatively easy to trick your machine in doing the conversion on your GPU instead of CPU.

miek

Post by miek »

Hello to All,

I've tested my blackmagics with the GT9800 on the standard OSX injected drivers in El Capitan. They works without any issues on Full HD. Outputs works too.

Conclusion: GTX960 is not fully compatible with OSX. At least until Nvidia will make some driver updates. I think I should try GTX980 or GTX760.

If anybody has any experience with hackintosh - Nvidia - Blackmagic - Resolume, please share.

Michael

miek

Post by miek »

Dear Joris,

First of all I have to report some tests results, maybe somebody need them.

I've tried a few other graphics adapters: GTX760, GTX770, GTX780, GTX670, GTX770 (I hope I didn't forget anything) thanks to my friend Misha. Blackmagic din't worked correctly with any of them when used web driver.
I have 10.11.6 (15G1212) - 346.03.15f05.
When was used standard Nvidia driver FPS was ok, but system worked with only one monitor and interface colours where very strange. So this isn't solution.

Another good news to report - Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K somehow is on and working on fresh OSX install with Nvidia Web Driver with all of those cards including my GTX960.

But Blackmagic Decklink Dual SDI is still not working properly. I believe thats because of hardware colour space conversion.

Question: Is it possible to trick the system to make this conversion process work faster, or is there a Graphics adapter that will work with this Dual SDI?

Best regards
Michael

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is not something that you can fix by driver updates. The software doing the capturing has to switch to a different capturing method. We have a private Resolume build that can do this, and that's why I asked you to contact us directly.

miek

Post by miek »

Dear Joris,

Thank you for your proposal.

For people that have the same issue, I have some updates. I've installed OSX Sierra (clean install), updated to 10.12.2 (16C67) with last Nvidia Web Driver 367.15.10.25f01. Decklink Duo's performance looks twice better: 30fps vs 12fps in El Capitan on 1080P30 (1080i60). Intensity Pro 4K works without any issues on 1080P60 60fps.

Regards
Miek

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

Joris wrote:This is not something that you can fix by driver updates. The software doing the capturing has to switch to a different capturing method. We have a private Resolume build that can do this, and that's why I asked you to contact us directly.
Hi Joris, I have the same problem so I sent you an email two days ago to the mail'at'resolume.com address.

thanks!!