So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post by Meptik »

If the client is paying enough and you absolutely cannot have any stutter I use D3.
I agree to some extent. We own multiple servers that run Resolume, but we also use D3 as well; we just did a project yesterday with D3. All tools have a purpose and place; Resolume allows us to get into a lot of events, productions, shows, and spaces that cannot afford D3.

However, I do feel that playing back video smoothly should be something that should be more of a paramount of video applications, IMO, and yes, I do understand that there are reasons for this being otherwise, as stated fully in this thread. It would be great if solid, non-stuttering, playback could be an option to enable or otherwise for scenarios when we need videos, and videos with audio, to play solidly vs needing effects, play modes, BPM sync, etc etc.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

.....but also...beside all this constructive critic...and wishes - it has to be mentioned that the Resolume team was still aware of this...and done a lot in this smooth playback direction over the past years without mucking out the features to solve the problem. I remember older versions of Resolume where stuttering was constantly visible....and now...they are close to smoooooooth.

Just want to mention that ;)

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I personally (and successfully) use Resolume Arena in our work flow for about 90% of my work (whether it's theatre, art installations and corporate conferences) but branding and perception are key factors when you sell a project to a client so sometimes the VJ angle seems to make the final push a bit harder especially with clients that are willing to pay whatever it takes to make the event a success.

Commercial theatre such as yellow-card tours and broadway, music concerts, high-end art installations and corporate conferences are huge markets especially in the US, so maybe there is room for a 3rd version of Resolume (Arena Pro) a new high end product which could compete with Green Hippo, D3 and Dataton Watchout!

Frischvergiftung

Post by Frischvergiftung »

we started a separate thread here on the forum viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14357, but also we had to live with the stutters in the end. it would be wonderful if this issue could be adressed soon.

and thanks for the explanation joris, this is exactly the behaviour we're seeing.

one question: would it be possible to integrate a feature where you are able to set a target framerate in your composition? like 25 or 30 FPS. we'd rather have lower FPS but at a constant rate than stuttering while trying to reach the 60 FPS.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

would it be possible to integrate a feature where you are able to set a target framerate in your composition?
We have a few plans along those lines, yes.

chenthemagician

Post by chenthemagician »

Hey Joris,

Remember what we were talking about awhile back, to have an Advanced Section in the Preferences, which would give power users, granular control over Resolume's playback engine/UI/Output, I think this may be the time to have that talk with the rest of the team...

@Oaktown Even though yes you could go the route of a Arena Pro, but i don't think that is necessary, the granular control is an "use at your own risk" situation, and it comes with warnings, and 2 stage activation process for any feature. So the locking of the refresh rate, the changing of the behaviour of the engine from predictive to smooth, etc. Could be options within this menu tab.
Unfortunately this gives all sorts of unexpected behaviour, since it involves handing complete control to the playback engine, and thereby we're forced to bypass other steps in the pipeline. For instance, audio playback will use the system settings, rather than Resolume's settings. This means that by changing a clip to this playback mode, all of a sudden your audio will be routed to the system default and completely ignore the volume and master faders in Resolume.
So case in point, we make the option of smooth playback, the UI "hides" all volume settings from the user, because this now is handled by the system, as would be like any other server the audio engineer is responsible for that volume control, because the content would have been normalized and made palatable to the ears of the audience.

There are ways to look at it and of course, @Joris I thank you for explaining how the engine works with the predictive look-ahead algorithm, in its playback state. Didnt't know so much crazy magic was happening in there. :D

And for sure, definitely have to give the team mad crazy props for all the improvements & advancements, while keeping costs down. It is appreciated from this end.

my 2 cents.
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Being in the DJ side of visual entertainment, I have seen some windows tweaks that can help. By no means am I using SDI connections or most of the pro gear you guys seem to have access too but here are somethings that might help.

1. Disable all HDMI sound cards. My TV/projector show up as a sound card on Windows control panel. No need for that in my setup.
2. Whatever sound cards you do still have enabled (even if no sound is sent) Disable Audio Enhancements under the sound card's properties.
3. Set your default sound card sample rate to 24bit and 48khz. I thought this was dumb, but it really does have a small effect.
4. Turn your consumer display devices to Game Mode and/or bypass all display image processing at the display device.
5. Disable processor Core Parking.

Last, I have seen that some 32 bit and/or DX9 based applications seem to have stutter and even tearing. If you can get past some of this OP's bias there is actually some good information in this NVIDIA thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... t-in-here/

When applications that were 32bit DX9 update to 64bit and DX11+, I have seen my stuttering and screen tearing almost gone. I have a few applications that all stutter, when updated it is never 100% gone but it is very close. I would put 95+% gone.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Frischvergiftung wrote: one question: would it be possible to integrate a feature where you are able to set a target framerate in your composition? like 25 or 30 FPS. we'd rather have lower FPS but at a constant rate than stuttering while trying to reach the 60 FPS.
One sneaky trick is to change the output frequency of your output monitors to 25/30. Resolume then locks to that fps as the max. If your going into an image pro it works fairly well.

Yu HaiChuang
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Yu HaiChuang »

1、You have disable the integrated graphics?
2、Is the audio buffer set too small? 1GB almost.
My answer is not too low? :(

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but curious what some people's work around are to get video playback as smooth as possible. Wondering if there's anything we haven't tried?

We use nVidia GTX1080's and keep VSync turned on to clamp our FPS at 60 or 59.94.
If we run in 59.94, then content is typically made at 29.97.
We've also run at 60, with content at 30.
We have also run the control display at 30 and 29.97 with content in respective frame rates.

Outputs: we typically try to keep things in multiples of 4k, not outputting more than 3x 3840x2160 per machine. The fewer the outputs, the better it seems to run.

We do quite a few large corporate shows (just got back from one with 3 screens, all 3.5mm LED, and also included the pixel mapping of 60 moving lights) and so trying to best understand flawless performance is a crowning acheveiment for us.

I'm sort of assuming, via threads on the forum, that Resolume 6 might offer solutions to this? I hope it comes out soon :)