So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Supernova
Is taking Resolume on a second date

So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post by Supernova »

I have been digging through the forums all day again. I have been experiencing the dreaded un-smooth video playback. At first I thought maybe it was the sli connection on my video cards, but as it turns out, this is a known problem discussed in the forums back in 2013 in Arena 4. Well here we are in 2016 with Arena 5 and it is still an issue. And I have the type of clients that are not ok with jumpy video.
When I first learned about this software, I couldn't believe all of the features it had. I only wanted to use it as a media player and for the screen warping and blending for live corporate events, so a large chunk of the software I don't use. But I was so impressed with its features that I spent a large amount of money and built a beast of a machine to run it, and started a company to facilitate renting the machine out for shows. Only then, when I was doing a show and was serving media across a giant curved screen did I notice the little skips in the playback. And so did my client.
After trying countless hardware configurations, media file types, forums, ect.... today I see that it is a known issue that has been going on for years. After hearing my favorite client tell me that if my media server can't even play video smoothly they won't be able to use my system anymore, and then to find out that this problem has been going on for years...it is very frustrating.

I'm sure you guys are tired of fielding this question, but I have to ask.... It is 2016, Arena 5.0.1 is out, what's the update on video playback? Is this product going to remain only viable for VJ's who's videos can play badly?

I am sorry if I sound harsh. This is a BIG deal, and I have a lot on the line with this product. I just need to know if there is an actual fix in the works, or if I need to look elsewhere for a serious video player?
It would really irk me if that is the case. I have invested a lot of time and money into this. There really should be a disclaimer on the sales page.

Please tell me a patch is rolling out.
Last edited by Supernova on Sat Feb 06, 2016 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Supernova,
the guys from Resolume managed to get rid of almost 70% of the stutters in the past time.
But I am afraid ...30% are still there.....

First I have to ask you some routine questions about your setup.

- Your Clips are in 30fps ...and your LED-Wall / Projector / Display / Scaler ect. is set to 60 Hz
[25fps/50Hz][60fps/60Hz][50fps/50Hz]?

- You are using the DXV3 codec?

- You are using a typical SSD or better?

- All energy saving configurations of your system are deactivated?

- Your clips do not contain any sound?

- All clips are set to timeline mode?

- Global playback speed it surely set to 100%?

If you can answer "yes" to all of this questions...you can tweak the start of a clip by setting the "clip start offset" to 9ms in the configuration of Resolume. I guess it's not helping on purpose... but it does.

I've really made a lot of tests....and that's the way I get the "best" stutterless experience out of Resolume at the moment.

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by AdevProjects »

For some reason I have found that connecting and setting an external audio interface makes the output visibly smoother when compared to using the motherboards audio interface. It does not affect the reported frame rate in Resolume though. You could try that if you have tried everything else cosmowe suggested.

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Thanks for the quick reply guys. To answer your questions:

"Your Clips are in 30fps ...and your LED-Wall / Projector / Display / Scaler ect. is set to 60 Hz
[25fps/50Hz][60fps/60Hz][50fps/50Hz]?"

Unfortunately the client brings me a lot of content set at 29.97, and others set at 60fps. I usually run my system outputs at 60hz. I have tried before to convert the rates to 60fps in media stream clip while I am converting them to DXV3, but this hasn't really changed the outcome.

- You are using the DXV3 codec?

Yes. I have even tried encoding the DXV3 from several of the different methods (mediastream clip, compressor, quicktime pro). I have also tried running the files in Pro res 422. Looks the same.

- You are using a typical SSD or better?

Yes. I have 2- 500 gig solid state drives on my rig. One of them contains the operating system and resolume, one of them is for media storage. I have tried running the media from both drives to see if there was a speed issue from running files off of a different drive than the one resolume is on. I could not perceive a noticeable difference either way.
When I get back home to my rig I am going to set up a RAID 0 configuration and see if that helps any.

- All energy saving configurations of your system are deactivated?

Yes. All the highest performance settings are active.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I see exactly the same un-smooth playback on both.

- All clips are set to timeline mode?

Yes. In the clip settings, on the transport drop down, to the right, "timeline" is selected as the mode.

- Global playback speed it surely set to 100%?

Yes.

If you can answer "yes" to all of this questions...you can tweak the start of a clip by setting the "clip start offset" to 9ms in the configuration of Resolume. I guess it's not helping on purpose... but it does.

I have not tried this. I will look into that. Does this affect anything else? Will the audio be out of sync?

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

t13swift wrote:For some reason I have found that connecting and setting an external audio interface makes the output visibly smoother when compared to using the motherboards audio interface. It does not affect the reported frame rate in Resolume though. You could try that if you have tried everything else cosmowe suggested.
I have been wondering about this as well. I know if you adjust the audio buffer size one way or the other you can actually increase or decrease video stutter quite a bit. I wondered if running a good external audio card that could take the buffer rate way now would help. Do you recommend any specific interfaces?

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Thanks again for the helpful replies guys.

I did want to add, that during one show where the client was dissatisfied with the smoothness of the playback, we actually loaded all of the same files (some 29.97, some 59.97, and some 60fps) into Playback pro running on a basic macbook pro, then took that into Arena as a live input via sdi and a blackmagic card. When that played back through Arena it looked perfect. Which told me that it wasn't a hardware issue, or a Resolume settings issue, it was purely a flaw in the resolume video playback engine.

Here is a thought for Resolume if any of them are seeing this, perhaps you guys could hire a consultant to come and hammer out this playback issue. It is one guy that made Playback Pro. It doesn't do near the functions of Arena, but it does play videos really well.
Or maybe VLC's playback engine could be licensed and incorporated into Resolume? That player does great across nearly all file types.

AdevProjects

Post by AdevProjects »

I use a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Never had any problems with it and im always using it. Really good build quality, it has 2 xlr/jack mic/line inputs on the front and 2 pairs of jack outputs, 1 pair of jack inputs, digital in + out, headphone monitor.

I do not know how it compares to other interfaces in regards to Resolume.

I started another thread about audio interfaces: viewtopic.php?&t=12907

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hi supernova,

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I see exactly the same un-smooth playback on both.

Hmmmm.....this is strange. In that special case you have to recognize a huge difference.
Sooo...are you sure you deleted the audio layer from your clip?
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

movebandit

Post by movebandit »

+1 Still got big Problems with smooth playback. Tried a lot. But biggest stuttering started together with Audio Buffer changes.....

ttbagh
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ttbagh »

:/ I basically have the same problem. But in my case I'm just trying to test arena at my workstation and isn't even playing at it suppose the original files it comes with.

I already downloaded the Codex and installed Quicktime.

ps. something blow even more my mind ...I already installed the demo on my cheap laptop and it works like a charm but the laptop doesn't support powerful videos to test it really good and my desktop isn't allowing me to do anything :mrgreen:

:ugeek: :!: :?: