installer without media?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

installer without media?

Post by yochee »

Hey guys,

could you please distribute the resolume installer without media?

The Resolume app is just like 70MB, but the media contained in the installer is 1,1GB. Sure I appreciate free content, sure it's great for beginners to have something to start with, but it takes some time downloading and after every minor upgrade I have to wipe out those files as I don't use them (were 640x480, now 1280x720.. krr). Please consider people with low download bandwidth somewhere on the countryside, or being at a venue with clean Os and only with mobile internet, saving energy, whatever... There is many reasons to reduce the file size of the installer. I'd rather have an extra link in your download section to a zip containing a demo compo with the clips..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: installer without media?

Post by Joris »

Yeah, this sucks. Believe me, it gets even worse when you've got the beta and release builds to juggle as well.

The thing is that the demo is the first encounter with Resolume for new users, and this should be as smooth as possible. So this is the priority. It already takes Bart a day to create the installers for each OS, and adding another 2 days for the lean install is not an option.

We looked into having an optional install system, where you can specify what you want to download. Unfortunately this was a lot more work and got really messy with code signing and permissions. It's easy to do if you have resources that Adobe or Microsoft has, but a bit out of the reach of a small team such as ours.

yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: installer without media?

Post by yochee »

was solved very smoothly, thanks!