Auto Pilot with SMPTE

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Auto Pilot with SMPTE

Post by Oaktown »

Any reason why there is no Auto Pilot mode when clips are in SMPTE mode? I would love to have the ability to advance to the next clip in layer to arm another SMPTE clip automatically.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Auto Pilot with SMPTE

Post by Joris »

SMPTE was designed to be as 'accident' proof as possible. So once a clip is triggered, it cannot be un-triggered unless the operator actively triggers a different clip. This way, an accidental glitch in the incoming TC signal will not accidentally trigger a different clip.

Auto triggering based on the incoming SMPTE is on the feature request list, and we'd rather implement it properly, rather than having a intermediate tinker solution based on the autopilot.

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

If you will build in a cue player, or cue list, or a timeline feature where we can setup a triggering sequence for clips/columns and that module can set up to react to the SMPTE automatically that would be enough in my opinion.

Res Arena is a media-serverish, VJish software which is more than a VJ software but it is not a classic media server software like pandora's box, d3 or Watchout (sometime this is a pro not a con!!!). For a linear workflow which is needed for a timecoded concert, a theatre performance or a corporate event where we exactly know the order of the video files some kind of cue or timeline option is missing.

Now an external OSX or dmx controller can make this happens but a built-in option would be the best.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

a timeline feature where we can setup a triggering sequence for clips/columns and that module can set up to react to the SMPTE automatically that would be enough
Describes feature that will take two years to develop and implement, says it "would be enough".

A timeline would be the frigging beeswax, Gabonacorp :)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

gabonacorp wrote:If you will build in a cue player, or cue list, or a timeline feature where we can setup a triggering sequence for clips/columns and that module can set up to react to the SMPTE automatically that would be enough in my opinion.
I think this might help you out meanwhile:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11392
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

@Joris, I'm not aksing for auto-triggering based on SMPTE but rather just a simple way to launch the next clip after the SMPTE-triggered clip has rolled. The same way you could auto-launch an SMPTE clip using the autopilot.

@Gaboncorp, of course having a built-in timeline would be ideal and I've had many conversations with Joris about that but what I was asking for is different and I just didn't want it to get wrapped into the much larger timeline picture because I know it will take some time before we get it.

@Ravensc, yes the V2 of your controller seems to have been released a few moments after I posted this question and it looks promising for sure. I just updated from V1 to V2 and I'm going to take it for a spin to see how it works for me. The one thing I already know will be a limitation is not being able to choose the SMPTE source in your controller's preferences. Also any plans to extend that functionality to MTC as well?

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

Joris wrote:Describes feature that will take two years to develop and implement, says it "would be enough".

A timeline would be the frigging beeswax, Gabonacorp :)
I didn't mean that this would be a piece of cake :) maybe I can't express myself well I would like to say if there would be a timeline or cue player than the autopilot smpte would be enough there, for this kind of clip handling the current timecode options are perfect in my opinion.
ravensc wrote:I think this might help you out meanwhile:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11392
Thanks, I already tried your superb software. If I want to be honest if timecode is the base of the production and we are work on a timeline than I choose a different media server. If I don't have too much infos about the production and/or I need to fast react for the onsite ideas of the client than Res is the perfect choice for me.

And it can be anything, I made the EHF Women's Champions League Final4 in Budapest Sportarena two weeks ago with Res5 where we edge blended 4 stacks of two Christie Boxers 4K 30k and a huge led cube which was "powered" by four 720p outputs. The shows was timecoded but all the rest has to handled by hand and Res5 was perfect.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Oaktown wrote:The one thing I already know will be a limitation is not being able to choose the SMPTE source in your controller's preferences.
not any more :)
Also any plans to extend that functionality to MTC as well?
It should be easy given it is already digital, I'll look into it.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Hey, Ravensc this V2 of your controller with SMPTE triggers and the ability to update cues in the controller is really great! I tested extensively yesterday and it worked like a charm.