Getting 60Hz on Datapath FX4

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jasontschantre
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Getting 60Hz on Datapath FX4

Post by jasontschantre »

I'm using a new Datapath FX4, and when I try to output 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz (which the fx4 is supposed to be able to do) I have problems when playing back in Resolume. The signal drops out intermittently, sometimes every few minutes or so, or sometimes every other second. The signal cuts out and the projectors say "no signal," and then very quickly receive signal again.

Running 3840x2160@30Hz works fine. Even 3840x1080@60hz seems to be working properly. It's just when I try to use the full 4k at 60Hz that this problem occurs.

It seems to only happen when I use Resolume to play video. The desktop background image does not cut out when resolume is not running.

I read that this might be an issue with the "max link rate" being set too high. But when I lower that setting below 5.4Gbit/s, then 3840x2160 is only possible at 16hz.

Any ideas what's going on here?

jasontschantre

Re: Getting 60Hz on Datapath FX4

Post by jasontschantre »

Quick update: I'm now getting intermittent dropped signal when using VLC to play a 4K mp4 file fullscreened on the datapath @ 4K60Hz. So that means it's not a problem with Resolume.

I'm using this Displayport cable (6' Startech): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... le_10.html

My graphics card is an EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

could be cable or firmware or fx4 hardware related,
if this happens with another good cable and signal source, you should contact the datapath support.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

are u using the hdmi or the displayport version? with hdmi connections I recently have problems which are look like the same ant that is usually edid problems. not with datapath but with the macbook pro hdmi output.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

To make sure there is no confusion, both Datapath fX4 models have HDMI and DisplayPort inputs and the EDID of the displays connected to the Datapath via HDMI or DisplayPort are completely independent from the GPU so the only EDID that matters to the GPU is the one from the Datapath and that information is sent towards the GPU not the other way around.

Quite often the problems is that 59.94 reads as 60 in the GPU UI on both Windows and Mac so I find that it's always easier to create a custom resolution to be sure everything matches. If you're on a Mac and plan to use the Datapath, do yourself a favor and invest $30 to buy SwitchResX to have full control over your resolutions.

jasontschantre

Post by jasontschantre »

I bought a Comprehensive brand 3' displayport cable, which was rated for over 10Gb/s data rates, and that solved the problem - I have solid signal now with 4K@60Hz.

Must have been that the Startech cable I was using was faulty. I think Comprehensive is one of the best cable brands.