Audiospeed increasing after a long running set?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Audiospeed increasing after a long running set?

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Hi Guys,

It's almost a week ago now, but I still have to ask this question...
This day last week I was running a show on the Amsterdam Dam square, using Arena 5 for VJ'ing but also a lot of audio/video instarts...
So what happens, my setup is preferred BPM for VJíng, al clips are DVX3 with uncompressed audio, but set to timeline so it runs at the normal speed and they work beautifully in the day when testing...
Showtime! everything goes well working from a heavily cue sheet and directions shouted in your headset, until my first audio instart comes, it runs...to fast..not a little, no 10% to fast, so the next does it also but I'm slowing down and the third, set to 0.90 on the speed dial runs normally...
For the next block of instarts, I set all the speeds to 0.90 and it works correctly..but please, where is this coming from?
In short, Macbook, Arena 5.2, everything DXV, audioclips video in DXV and Audio uncompressed rendered with it, deck on BPM, clips on timeline, rehearsal was no problem, but when going live al the clips played to fast until I set them to 0.90 at the speed dial in the clip....

After suffering multiple problems with my mac in the sun last year, this year I gave it plenty of shadow and everything ran on almost 60 (more like 59,60) fps so the heat couldn't be the problem, then what is? Or could be?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Audiospeed increasing after a long running set?

Post by Oaktown »

Probably your audio buffer was too low. Set it to 1024 and that should take care of your problem.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

you could have accidentally set the composition speed to play faster.
a right click on the slider should reset it.

have you started another audio application?
I saw an issue like this when starting resolume with 44100hz, and Ableton live later with 48000hz setting, resolume sped up playback and that's about 10%.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Oaktown wrote:Probably your audio buffer was too low. Set it to 1024 and that should take care of your problem.
Ehm no, audiobuffer is at max. always, using Reso for quite a while now so also;
ravensc wrote:you could have accidentally set the composition speed to play faster.
a right click on the slider should reset it.
have you started another audio application?
I saw an issue like this when starting resolume with 44100hz, and Ableton live later with 48000hz setting, resolume sped up playback and that's about 10%.
These both are a no, not some other app open and no I have no slider for composition speed, just a BPM and that one was on 100bpm...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Computers can seem very illogical and have a mind of their own sometimes, especially when in stressful situations. The fact is that all computers run on software, and software never does anything on its own. It only does anything when it's explicitly told to do so. The instructions can come from a unconscious user interaction, or a glossed over programmer's mistake, the fact remains that there is always an identifiable source of the change. Software never does anything 'by itself'.

Resolume is software, and like all software, it won't suddenly change speed unless it receives instructions to do so. My first hunch is to agree with Ravensc, that you unconsciously changed the Master Speed. You do, in fact, have such a control. You can read more about it here: http://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/compos ... n_controls

Even when that control is not visible and can't be accidentally clicked on, it's very easy to change it via DMX, a forgotten Midi shortcut or a stray command from an OSC interface you downloaded somewhere.

When doing important audio intros, I always make sure to right click both clip speed and master speed before the show moment. Even when I'm positive I didn't change either of those settings. That way I'm 100% sure it will play as it did during practice.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris wrote:When doing important audio intros, I always make sure to right click both clip speed and master speed before the show moment. Even when I'm positive I didn't change either of those settings. That way I'm 100% sure it will play as it did during practice.
I'm pretty sure it's been asked before but it would be great to have an actual readout on the master speed just like any other parameter AND a way to key in the value.

Also it would be nice to have the ability to set a layer as an audio track that would have no speed adjustment so we wouldn't have to worry about it.
Yuckfou157 wrote:Ehm no, audiobuffer is at max. always, using Reso for quite a while now so also;
I just had a similar issue to what you were describing and it ended up being my buffer size. Did all you clips end up playing fast or just your clips with audio?

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

'Cuz the mac was busy I could check it just now...
So I've looked up where the layer controls where, hidden, as I don't use them, have not mapped them and there is no possible way that I could alter them as they are hidden, and yes I checked again by making them visible and checking my midimappings but no, they are not used... the only speed adjustments I use are on the clip itself or at the BPM counter....
Then, I don't use DMX or OSC or anything nerdy strange unreliable stuff at the side, just Reso, my mac and a APC40 MKII, nothing more, nothing less, I ain't no wizard, mapping, stacking and abusing every setting triple times, just straight forward vj'ing, and this is why I am estranged with this particular problem...

So that option Joris, is not what could have happened, @Oaktown, buffer size is right, I have never had this problem before and al the other clips are BPM-synced as I like to work in that way, so again, only the clips with audio in them are on timeline speed and set to 1.0, this ended up being 10% too fast for all the clips remaining in the deck and adjusting them back to 0.90 made them run properly...

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

ravensc wrote:you could have accidentally set the composition speed to play faster.

This was what caused the problem, the clip was rendered in DXV with an 48.000Khz sampling rate while in prefs it stood in 44100Khz, it solved the speed problem and clips in 44100Khz aren't effected....

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That's very interesting. In the first place because that should not happen, and in the second place that if it was a problem with the source media, surely it would have shown up during practice.

The audio sample rate is like the render framerate of Resolume. Your video is not all of a sudden going to play twice as fast when Resolume is rendering at 60 fps, and your clips are only 30. Similarly, using a 44.1 KHz sample rate and 48 KHz files together shouldn't be a problem. You're just skipping 4000 samples every second, but on a total of 48000 samples, that's something only audiophiles claim to hear.

I just ran a test, playing a 44.1 KHz, a 48 KHz and a 96 KHz together. They all play back in perfect sync, even when changing the audio sample rate during playback.

Could it be that the files were replaced with newer versions that differed in length, after rehearsal and before show time? Replacing a file with the same name but with a different length (either by replacing the file while Res is closed, or relocating it via the UI) ) can result in the wrong playback speed.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Btw, I don't mean to imply that you're wrong, your solution is not working or that you're doing something wrong. I just want to figure out what caused it, so we can prevent it in the future. And at this point I'm not sure the sample rate is really the problem.