Artnet and osc

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
.lov.
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Artnet and osc

Post by .lov. »

ravensc wrote:Enabling all universes in resolume, you can see data rates nicely climbing up to to around 28 megabit/sec. that's still not much on a 100BaseT wired network.
That sounds great in theory, but network traffic and health also depends on the hardware components. To drive 48 universes you would need a bunch of network switches which ones should handle the incoming packets, as well as the Art-Net interfaces at the end will receive a lot of data that they should ignore. So this is complex issue, its not just about Resolume can or cannot send out the data, its about how the network component could handle that amount of broadcast packets.

I'm not a network guru, just curious, and speaking about possible technical limitations/problems theoretically :mrgreen:

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

.lov. wrote:To drive 48 universes you would need a bunch of network switches which ones should handle the incoming packets, as well as the Art-Net interfaces at the end will receive a lot of data that they should ignore.
There are a lot 48 and 52 port network switches from tp-link to cisco in various price ranges in 1U format,
For example this 100BaseT d-link with 1000BaseT uplinks I found should be able to handle anything resolume can drive for around 200€, you only need one of these :)

The end nodes you likely have to try if they can take the broadcast, but if a company wants to sell a product for a long time they should produce one that can.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

.lov.
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by .lov. »

ravensc wrote:The end nodes you likely have to try if they can take the broadcast, but if a company wants to sell a product for a long time they should produce one that can.
Companies usually supports Art-Net 2/3 which is using unicast instead of broadcast to solve network load problems ;)
ravensc wrote:they should produce one that can
Art-Net interfaces are limited to 4 port (4 universes) by the Art-Net specification. Anything that handling more than 4 universes using IP and ArtDMX packet merging inside the box - just a FYI.

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

Lets start with the solution before i answer the original questions. In 5.1 we will be supporting unicast. We're currently in the closed beta phase. If you need it really soon you can send us a mail and maybe joris can hook you up with beta access.

Now for the original questions:
CoreyMcCdallas wrote: ...
So question is, because of the broadcast nature and the heavy artnet traffic, can I still get reliable communication between tthe machines via OSC?
No, when the network link between two computers is used 100%, everything else that's sent will be dropped. As you may have read in the discussion, the question is 'when is the network used too much?'.
In my calculations for a poorly implemented 100Mbit router/nic this would stop at 27 universes. I havn't tested this so your results may vary.
CoreyMcCdallas wrote: ...
I have no problem adding another set of gigabit cards to the machines, but can Resolume utilize one network simply for OSC, while still using the onboard gb lan card for artnet?
No, we dont allow selecting the network card to use for dmx/osc yet. We allow the operating system to make the choice for us, which in most cases makes both dmx/osc use the first nic it detected.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

ravensc wrote: I measured the Resolume refresh rate being 25Hz.
I am officially blind. :roll:
there is a fps setting in the lumiverse in advanced output where you can set the framerate....
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu