alpha channel not recognised on different blend modes

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
eratatat
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

alpha channel not recognised on different blend modes

Post by eratatat »

Hi there,
I'm using a video exported from Premiere with DVX3 (High Quality with alpha), and want to layer it with another video. I am not using Advanced mode, I am going fullscreen on the second display.
The alpha channel of the clip is recognised, but I can't use it to put over the other layer.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
ET

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: alpha channel not recognised on different blend modes

Post by Oaktown »

Whether you use fullscreen, windowed, or advanced output makes a difference on how you composition is rendered so the problem must lay elsewhere.

Do you have an alpha channel in your clip (RGBA)?
Screenshot 2016-11-11 06.20.29.png
When you preview your clip, do you see the alpha grid in the preview window?
Screenshot 2016-11-11 06.20.39.png

eratatat
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by eratatat »

Hi thanks,
Actually, it seems like I don't export with alpha from premiere, even though I put the right settings. I tried with After Effects and it works well.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

In Premiere, make sure you're using the max rendering depth (32-bit) in the video settings when you render DXV with alpha or the alpha channel won't be preserved during the encoding process.
Screenshot 2016-11-11 07.03.33.png

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Oaktown FTW.
I've been cataloging all of my content from this last year (over 1TB) and doing a LOT of edits and conversion (mainly in MPEG Streamclip) but for all my Alpha visuals I am using Premiere and AME. I have a LOT of presets for sessions and exports (23.976 - 60 fps @720p AND 1080p) if you would like me to send you a link to add to your presets? presets are for ProRes 422(HQ) and 4444 for Alpha, as well as DXV3. All presets are set for standard export and with Alpha. To repeat what Oaktown has said, Alpha requires a 32bit export to work (sadly MPEG Streamclip does not offer this, unless I've overlooked it somewhere?)

Let me know if you would like a download link. I'll be traveling on a gig the next day or two but i'll try to get to you before i leave if it's time sensitive.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

link to presets:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ciov4waw4dbc ... WKQ8a?dl=0

the folder title is where you will need to copy and paste (obviously, don't delete your current folders or presets)

This is for OSX.
Presets were created in CC but as a XML file it should work in any version as long as you have the ProRes and DXV3 codecs installed.