non existent midi mapping

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

non existent midi mapping

Post by mowgli »

I'm finding myself in strange situation which I've been trying to debug for a while with no success.
If I send MIDI notes on channel 2 to resolume, it starts triggering my columns despite there being no MIDI mapping assigned to them on either composition or application settings. This happens with every composition.

Any ideas or clues as to what's going on?

edit:
Even stranger, I just realised that whichever column gets triggered, Resolume immediately jumps to column 6, There are no autopilots or anything similar on.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: non existent midi mapping

Post by Arvol »

Basic question (I know.....), Gotta ask:

1.) Have you opened your KEY, MIDI, OSC, DMX mapping options and cleared ALL of them on the application AND the composition level?

2.) After doing steps one, Have you gone into Resolume settings under MIDI and clicked NEW for the .xml settings file?

3.) Have you gone into your users folder/documents and deleted all your mappings .xml files? (backing up what you want to save, first)

4.) Do you have any third party key mappers or input mappers installed on your machine?

If you have done everything above, Have you tried completely removing Resolume and re-installing? (backing up whatever settings you want to keep, first)

Not exactly a straight cut answer, just some very basic trouble-shooting. I'm sure you've probably already tried this, but thought we could get the basic questions out of the way first.

mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mowgli »

whatever is causing it appears to be in the composition mapping despite it not being visible on resolume's interface while in midi mapping mode. I've looked at the XML file but I can't seem to locate any column triggers although I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Any idea on how to spot column trigger mappings on the xml file?
thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

have you checked both deck and layer focus?

you can remove midi mapping by clicking the remove all button while in mapping.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This happens with every composition.
whatever is causing it appears to be in the composition mapping
These statements are mutually exclusive. Something in the composition mapping cannot affect every compostion, unless you've previously saved it into every composition.

If you want to really debug whether or not it's something in the composition mapping, just save your comp and create a blank composition. If the problem still happens after that, the problem is not in your composition map.

Want to really debug if it's in application mapping? Go to the midi tab of the preferences, save your app midi map under a name you can remember and then create a new app midi map. Does this make the problem go away? Then the problem is in your app map.

Knowing you, I'm guessing you've got more than just one or two mappings assigned, which I'm guessing is also why you're ignoring the advice to remove all. The beauty of both these "debugging" techniques is that none of your previous work is lost. Both the comp map and the app midi map are safely stored and can easily be retrieved.
have you checked both deck and layer focus?
This is my guess as well. You've mapped something in one of the two, and thus far have only checked the other.
I've looked at the XML file but I can't seem to locate any column triggers
Which xml file have you looked at? Comp mappings are saved in the composition file. App mappings are saved in whatever app midi map you currently have loaded via the preferences. If you've never messed with this, it's saved in contextualMidiShortcuts.xml in your Resolume documents folder.

Either way, a column trigger can be found by searching for path="/track#1/connect". Where #1 is the column number the shortcut is assigned to.

But really, make sure you've checked both layer and deck focus in the app midi map before you start messing with xml files and the like. I'm 99% sure that's your problem.

HI5
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by HI5 »

it starts triggering my columns despite there being no MIDI mapping assigned to them on either composition or application settings
Experienced sth. similar one single time. (Arena 5.1.2)
While clicking through Layer1 with MIDI Controller to check if all the clips look pretty on the mapped surfaces.
I stumbled upon 2x Chanel1 Note buttons which activated the whole column instead of the corresponding clips in L1.
I never use colums and did not have them mapped to anything.
I restarted resolume and was never able to reproduce.

HI5
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by HI5 »

Ok sth. sneaked right into my composotion mapping :)
Had it again while playin (on other pads than the first time)
Checked the Comp mapping and found the bad guys.
But never mapped them there. I swear :lol: