2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VisionLed
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post by VisionLed »

Hello guys,

Im working on a show that i need 2 computers runnig in sync for back up.
Using 2 macbook pro's but thats no the issue.
I'm quite familiar with osc and midi got all the settings good.
Now the wierd part.
Using osc:
Fixed ip's no firewall same input and output port. All works.
When i press with my mouse on layer privew it also sends a comand to clear the layer on the other mac.
Also when moving the 'v' slide on one mac it moves the 'v' slide on the other mac but also moves the 'a' slide a bit.
When presing preview on layer 13 it start the first clip in layer 1 from the beggining.
So i said lets leave the osc and sync them with midi.
Ive connected both mac's through external focuserite sound cards.
And the same problems are happenning.
Tried to change to pc's. All the same. Tried it on arena 4 the same.
Guys if you know what mighg cousing such behavior and how do i solve it
Please help.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: 2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post by Zoltán »

which resolume versions are you using?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

HI I'm using the latest version 5.1.2. though I tried changing the version to 4.2 on both computers. and the same problem exists.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

master slave operation via OSC s not officially supported, however a search for osc master slave has some info on the forum:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... ster+slave

also, make sure you don't have the osc output of the last machine send back data to the master.

I would start up the slave then the master so the master startup can send all the composition data, so everything will be in sync.
if the active layers are not the same then the clip selection/preview can cause what you describe regarding layer13 vs layer 1 as active on the slave.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

Thank you.
obviously I use the same composition on both computers.
and yes one computer has output osc and the other input osc only.
the ports for input and output match Ive set them to 7001
ill try starting the slave first. even though I cant see what difference would it make.
as soon as you move one slide it syncs it with the other one.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

VisionLed wrote:Thank you.
obviously I use the same composition on both computers.
and yes one computer has output osc and the other input osc only.
the ports for input and output match Ive set them to 7001
ill try starting the slave first. even though I cant see what difference would it make.
as soon as you move one slide it syncs it with the other one.
moving a slider and the other moving was one of the issues I seem to remember that should have been fixed, that's why I asked about your versions.

The startup order makes a difference because the slave can get into the same state as the master this way, as every control is(should be) sent via OSC, from the layer selection to the master effects.
On composition/deck load the first clip in layer 1 is set as the active clip, so if you start the master, select a clip an another/active layer and start the slave, then the active layer and clip is not the same as the active layer/clip on the slave, and a lot of activeClip/activeLayer OSC messages are submitted.
On clip launch then the clip properties and effect states are sent at the time of launch.

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

Ok. Ill give it a try later today.
But how about the issue i'm pressing the layer preview on the master and i see on the slave its pressing the preview and the cancel layer on the same time.
Also i would like to mention im connected with a straight cable via thunderbolt to ethernet. Both networks show to be acting fine. Maybe there is is a difference using a straight or cross cable.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Maybe there is is a difference using a straight or cross cable.
That makes no difference. Macs and pretty much all computers these days have Auto-Medium Dependent Interface Crossover (Auto MDI-X) so they auto sense what kind of cable you're using.
Also i would like to mention im connected with a straight cable via thunderbolt to ethernet.
Why don't you connect your two macs with a Thunderbolt cable directly and use the Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge instead of using adapters?

As far as the issues you're having, and for what it's worth, I tested with a complex composition and I have the same V/A slider issues but I can't replicate the layer preview/cancel problem. On the other hand, when I preview L13 my V/A sliders move a bit every time I click on the preview tab but I don't get that issue with any of the other layers.

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

Well its good to know I'm not the only one having this issue.
But what is the solution.
I've also tried to cancel the OSC output commands that do the mess on the master mac.
still no resolution.
maybe some one of the resolume developers would know the answer to this issue.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

if you don't need an exact mirror of the master on the slave, you can apply some OSC filers with the programs described in the other threads, filtering out the messages that cause mess.