2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: 2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post by Joris »

It is perfectly normal and expected that the "layer clear" command is sent when a clip is triggered. The layer is first cleared when a new clip is triggered. When you have this command mapped to midi, it will also be sent out.

It is not normal that a "clear all layers" command is sent out when column 2 is triggered. This can only be caused by a residual midi map left over somewhere.

Go to the midi preferences, save your current application midi map with a name you can remember, and then create a new one. Now try the column trigger again. Is the eject command gone? Then the problem is your application midi map.

If not, save your composition and create a new one. Load some test content and try the column trigger again. Is the eject command gone? Then the problem is your composition midi map.

Having said all that, Ravensc's Enter program is the best way to control multiple instances of Resolume in a theatre setup. Using a 3rd party OSC solution is a lot more reliable than tinkering your own master/slave setup.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Wait, I'm looking at your video again, and now I'm not even sure there is even a problem.

Resolume sends out a layer clear before triggering the content from the new column. This is expected behaviour. The content from the new column then plays as it should. What exactly is the problem you're having?

Joris

Post by Joris »

Your original message mentions something about "When presing preview on layer 13 it start the first clip in layer 1 from the beggining.".

The video shows expected behaviour with layer eject commands. I'm so confused right now.

VisionLed
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VisionLed »

Dear Joris,

When i was using OSC one of the problem, was when pressing layer 13 preview it was also activating the clear layer 13.
which was MIDI mapped to another function.
Also it was starting the first clip from the first layer from the begging
so, i've canceled the OSC sync, and did the sync via MIDI through external sound cards,
now the problem i have that the column trigger MIDI command executes the clear layers, which is another MIDI command.
somehow whether using OSC or MIDI also send's other MIDI commands to the slave pc.
I've tried starting from scratch and using OSC sync. same happands.
And i don't think it's normal to send a layer clear command before a column is lunched.
the midi note should be precise. the note that came in form the controller the same note got out from the MIDI out.
same goes with OSC, it's not normal for a command to reflect on any other command no matter what is the case.
i've studied programming for a while, and the first rule was to clear the RAM, it seems like the command takes with it unexpected data and sends it over.

Dear ravensc,

I got across your program before and its fantastic.
though i haven't started using it yet, i'm planning to in the near future.

the workaround you've suggested is a good idea. i've thought of it as well.
But the main reason for this post is not to get idea's for workarounds,
But to contribute to the development of Resolume.

I love this program very much and i've been using it since the 2nd version.
I really would like to contribute to the future development from my side and to point out problems i've encountered in order for the developers to fix them in the future versions.

Thank you guys.