Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post by DHoude »

I want to help you guys. I do have Showexpress and the ability to test. Here is the deal though. I really have no idea what you are asking. What does RGBAW haves to do without Resolume? How is Resolume going to help you "no longer program colors"? Are you trying to use a projector for an effect light through Resolume?

As far as I know (I have not tested) you can use DMX to trigger clips in Resolume to build a video scene. Similar to the way you would build a lighting scene. That way in Showexpress you can trigger a light and video scene with one live button. I have yet to test this, but I think I can figure this out so that I can help.

But I need some specific details of what you are trying to do.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Despite my Autocorrect making my grammar look completely horrible! Lol

It just occurred to me that you may be talking about this brand new fix here: "[FIXED] Request for RGBAW color space in DMX fixtures"

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Dayyy021 wrote:But does it work with R G B W A & UV?
UV is not a part of the color space but an additional feature of the light fixture so it's not going to work with pixel mapping directly!

That being said, I believe you could always set a one pixel L fixture (the UV channel) that you control with a small area of your composition using black or white to turn on or off.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

In an effort to help those who have had issues with Showexpress here, I have started creating the fixture files to control Resolume. If you don't know how to create fixtures, well here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvba40lpza9w0 ... s.zip?dl=0

I included a Readme that will help you get started on importing these fixtures into Showexpress. As well as an important snip from the Resolume DMX Auto Map manual (hope you guys don't mind).

This is the first step towards being able to control Resolume with Showexpress. All the controls are there and look pretty straight forward, but I am doing this in my spare time. So it may be a bit before I know what I am doing here.

Please report any errors and I will fix them.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Joris wrote:The default values that Arena uses for input Universe and Subnet are the first available Universe and Subnet.

If you have no other Art-Net outputs running out of Resolume, this will be Universe = 0 and Subnet = 0.
Hi Joris, I don't have my gig laptop with me right now but I am trying to plan set up. ShowExpress does not have a Universe "0". Thoughts?
Step 3 - Make Resolume Unv 1.JPG
Step 3 - Make Resolume Unv 1.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 9725 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I don't know the program, but isn't the software universe 1 the first universe coming from the software?
then on the right side you should be able to select the DMX - artnet universe you want to map/send it to.
At least the dialog looks like this.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

On second look, you may be right. The way SX works is you have to have 1 DMX interface (any of 3) to get 1 DMX universe and that also unlocks 1 Artnet Universe (1024 chan total).

I was thinking those drop downs were to route a universe # to the correct interface. Meaning if Resolume likes Universe 0 or possibly 1, then I would route #1 to my Ethernet adapter. Then route Universe #2, to my D512 DMX box. I will test tonight when I get off work. Just trying to knock this out on my breaks.

Guess I jumped the gun as I did not see a universe "0". With no box, I can't see anything there (if universe or interface). Not bringing anything to work to test is my fault.. Getting close to an answer though, then I will publish something for those who want to use SX with Resolume.

SX can be complicated (especially building fixture profiles, which I did above) but It has allot of power. I don't see myself controlling Resolume this way but I know SX and will help where I can.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

on the showxpress website they say
The software communicates with the lights via a required DMX 512 interface available from CHAUVET with options ranging from beginner to expert.
do you have one of these interfaces?

edit:
look what I have found:
phpBB [video]
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

That video is super helpful, awesome find!

I do, I have the D512 + (Remote version, the best one) and have used the SX interface for a long time. I also made friends with the dev team. Got to come up with some really cool things that they implemented. With some help for Atomix/Virtual DJ, I can even pass beat triggers (local or network) and trigger lighting scenes with audio cue points in VDJ. Sorry for the segue.

Long story short because I know Resolume a bit and have experience with SX, I figured I would give it a go for anyone who wants to use it this way. If I can't get it, then I know who to ask over there. I know the OP disappeared, but there has to be somebody who will want a guide. It may not be step by step (it can't really as all shows are different) but it will be very helpful.

Odd thing is, that universe page still shows "**Nothing**" with my interface connected and multiple universes enabled. It also just remaps the default universe mapping. So maybe I can make universe 1 into 2 or vice versa. Either way, I want to do it right the first time without remapping. Which brings me to the next..

The other issue, once all your fixtures are in universe 1, you have to wipe the universe 1 to then add them to universe 2. Then re import your scenes, which gives you an error. So you have to manually select the fixtures that you moved to universe 2. Not impossible, but very clunky. I will feed that back to them, but they are working on their next major version. So new features are going to be far off.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

So I am feeling very comfortable with the controls. I even did some work with SX on other light fixtures to remind myself of the work flow. But I can't get SX to control Resolume at all yet.

My real question is what do the numbers in the Resolume config mean? 0 (zero) is not an option for a Universe in SX and Subnet is not an option at all in SX. Here are my Resolume settings. I have tried setting numbers here, 1s and 0s in each, all and combinations.
Resolume Artnet config.JPG
Here are some of the ShowExpress options. Artnet is enabled and I restarted SX.
SX Art Net enabled.JPG
SX Art Net enabled.JPG (43.75 KiB) Viewed 9699 times
Here is my fixture "Mater" Resolume fixture. I tried both 127.0.0.1 & 10.1.1.95
SX Fixture.JPG
No control with DMX active. Note the Universe numbers right at the end of the "DMX Active" label. No "0" option, only 1. The Circle to the left of "1" is "..." and selects all fixtures in all universes to show below in that window.
SX control issue.JPG