Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post by Joris »

Art-Net numbering, my old nemesis. Think of the number as a house number on the street. It's how you let other applications know "I live in the fourth house on this street". The problem is that each developer decided to come up with their own way to count those houses.

The "official" Art-Net 2 spec divides houses into Universes and Subnets, each with 16 possible options, counted from 0. So, the first house is on Subnet 0, Universe 0. The next house is on Subnet 0, Universe 1. Etc etc. After you reach house number 16 at Subnet 0, Universe 15, the next 16 houses are on Subnet 1, Universe 0 through 15. Etc etc. All the way up to the 256th house at Subnet 15, Universe 15.

This is the official way of counting in Art-Net. It's what we do and what Artnetominator does. Madmapper does things slightly different, in that they don't use Subnets, and just count Universes from 0 to 255. GrandMa also doesn't use Subnets, but they start counting at 1. Looks like your app does things like GMA.

Basically, the rule of thumb is that your first house will be at the lowest possible option. In Resolume, that's 0:0. In Madmapper, it's 0. In GMA and your app, it's 1. The next house will be at 1 higher than that. It's good to remember that we're still talking about the same house, the first house on the street. Your app and Resolume just number it differently.

That's the theory. To really troubleshoot connections, it's best to use Artnetominator. It's a very handy tool that let's you see what Art-Net traffic there is on your network, and what Subnet and Universe are currently being used.

It's very useful to have this info, because there's a lot of things that come into play, aside from counting. For instance, sending Art-Net messages to 127.0.0.1 is officially outside of the Art-Net spec, so some purist applications won't let you do that. Also, some apps (like us in the past) will open the Art-Net port "exclusively", which means that one app can send and receive fine on it, but other apps on the same machine can't.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Also, while troubleshooting, it might be worth setting your network to a 2 or 10 Class A network with a 255.0.0.0 subnet so take a look at the section on IP address configuration on pp8-11 of the Art-Net 4 Specification document.

DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DHoude »

Thanks for the explanations guys. Very helpful getting me to understand things allot better. Without the technical references, it looks like I was doing all the right things. I was only trying to understand and fiddle with settings because Artnet control did not work from the start. I started out with Resolume 0/0/0. SX is Universe 1 and starts channel 1 for right now. So we are set there.

I did take the advice to change my network IP ranges at my house (all clients are DHCP, so I just changed and rebooted everything). I am now on 10.0.0.95 for my local address. But, my Linksys router will not let me edit the second Octet of the Subnet. I am stuck with 255.255.0.0 for the moment. I also saw a Youtube video when I was first starting this endevor that said Artnet likes 2... or 10... addresses. So this was a good suggestion, I actually forgot to try that.

That being said, my DMX box plugged in, firewall down, Resolume and ShowExpress running on the same machine. I am using Editor in ShowExpress and send DMX is enabled (which takes priority over all other DMX commands in SX) I still do not have control of Resolume.

I did change the Fixture address in ShowExpress to my new 10.0.0.95 as well as 127.0.0.1. Neither option worked for me yet. When I used the ArtNetominator (great tool, thank you) I see activity on all the right spots. It is good to see that SX is sending exactly what I expected it to. But this leaves me with more questions about why Resolume is not responding at all to the commands that are clearly being sent.
Monitor 2.JPG
I guess the only unanswered question is, what port does Resolume receive Artnet on? SX uses port 6454. I don't suspect that will do anything, but I am actually out of ideas until I can read that PDF. Only other idea is to try separate Laptops?? Perplexing..

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

To add, here were the Resolume settings during that test.
Res DMX.JPG

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

DHoude wrote:Thanks for the explanations guys. Very helpful getting me to understand things allot better. Without the technical references, it looks like I was doing all the right things. I was only trying to understand and fiddle with settings because Artnet control did not work from the start. I started out with Resolume 0/0/0. SX is Universe 1 and starts channel 1 for right now. So we are set there.

I did take the advice to change my network IP ranges at my house (all clients are DHCP, so I just changed and rebooted everything). I am now on 10.0.0.95 for my local address. But, my Linksys router will not let me edit the second Octet of the Subnet. I am stuck with 255.255.0.0 for the moment. I also saw a Youtube video when I was first starting this endevor that said Artnet likes 2... or 10... addresses. So this was a good suggestion, I actually forgot to try that.

That being said, my DMX box plugged in, firewall down, Resolume and ShowExpress running on the same machine. I am using Editor in ShowExpress and send DMX is enabled (which takes priority over all other DMX commands in SX) I still do not have control of Resolume.

I did change the Fixture address in ShowExpress to my new 10.0.0.95 as well as 127.0.0.1. Neither option worked for me yet. When I used the ArtNetominator (great tool, thank you) I see activity on all the right spots. It is good to see that SX is sending exactly what I expected it to. But this leaves me with more questions about why Resolume is not responding at all to the commands that are clearly being sent.

Monitor 2.JPG

I guess the only unanswered question is, what port does Resolume receive Artnet on? SX uses port 6454. I don't suspect that will do anything, but I am actually out of ideas until I can read that PDF. Only other idea is to try separate Laptops?? Perplexing..
Resolume normally cannot access artnet when another programming is sending or recieving. Some lighting programs like Chamsys magicQ have special setups that allow this. You should be trying resolume on one machine and show express on another

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Joris wrote:Also, some apps (like us in the past) will open the Art-Net port "exclusively", which means that one app can send and receive fine on it, but other apps on the same machine can't.
Interesting that you say this. When I originally started setting all this up I opened Resolume up before SX (more by accident). But SX gave me all kinds of errors and wouldn't start. Ever since I have been opening SX first I have not gotten an error, but that does not mean there isn't some kind of conflict like Resolume standing in the way.

Maybe there is something to my port/second laptop theory.

Edit, just saw the post above. Ok I will stop being lazy a load up another laptop, lol. Thank you all for the help so far!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To send and receive Art-Net (or OSC, or any network data for that matter), an application needs to open a port. On Art-Net, this is port 6454. On OSC, this can be any port you like. When using your browser to surf the web, it's port 80.

Officially, it's not good practice to allow two programs to both open the same port. This makes sense, because otherwise, you can't be sure which app is sending the data, or which app is actually receiving it.

There is a way that you can open a port 'non-exclusively'. This allows for such wonderful things as two apps sending and receiving Art-Net on the same computer. We implemented this for Resolume on the 5.1 release.

But it's very likely that other programs don't allow this. In those cases, only the program that opens the port first, will be able to access it, and all the other applications will either not receive anything, or throw all sorts of errors.

Aside from using two compuers, I really recommend using Artnetominator to see if your app is a) actually sending anything and b) letting other applications receive from it.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks for the confirmation. Seems like we are on the same track.

I did use the ArtNetominator, screen shot is above. SX is working and sending exactly the way I expect it to. So you are probably right, SX is probably trying to take exclusive control of the port. So Resolume can't use it at all.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

You guys guessed it. When Show Express is on another laptop, I can easily control Resolume through ArtNet DMX! Pretty cool actually.

I have spelled out the instructions and included the Resolume Automap fixtures in one kit that can be downloaded here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y261bg593bbis ... e.zip?dl=0

Now if only the OP would respond.. Lol, At least I learned allot. Thank you to all who contributed!

KStewart
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by KStewart »

Here I am!! Sorry, I was sidelined with my project and moved on. I just kept controlling both programs separately on two different computers. But I'm back now, because I have recently added a LED Video Wall I would like to control Resolume (play compositions) with light scenes on ShowXpress. It looks like a lot of time and effort went into this venture. I will read up and see if I can get something happening. Thanks everyone for their work on this and not giving up.
Windows 10 ASUS Intel I7 6700HQ 2.60 GHz 16GB 64bit
Resolume Arena 5
ShowXpress