Blackmagic mini recorder on a PC?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
MarkoTC
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Blackmagic mini recorder on a PC?

Post by MarkoTC »

Hello all!

Got a question regarding using a black magic mini recorder capture card on a PC with resolume?

I somehow can't get it to work, I bought a new USB type C adapter since I don't have any thunderbolt 2.0 ports on my laptop, But the camera won't still show up in Black Magic Desktop Video Setup, i'm using a gopro that works perfectly well.

Anyone knows a solution for this? Works perfect on my mac.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Blackmagic mini recorder on a PC?

Post by Joris »

If your device doesn't work in BM's own software, you probably want to talk to BM support. They know more about their hardware than we do.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector but it's different than USB 3.0/3.1-C so make sure your computer does have Thunderbolt 3.

Also, if you do have T3, not all USB-C ports on your computer may be T3 so make sure you have the right port. Other than that, Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible with T1 & T2 so if you have a T3 port, your BM Mini Recorder should work assuming you've got a good T3(USB-C) to T2 adapter that's windows certified.

This may or may not be related but when I use the Mini Recorder on Windows 10 Bootcamp, it won't work unless the device is connected when I boot the computer so if I accidentally disconnect the thunderbolt device I'm not able to get it to work again.

MarkoTC

Post by MarkoTC »

Oaktown wrote:Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector but it's different than USB 3.0/3.1-C so make sure your computer does have Thunderbolt 3.

Also, if you do have T3, not all USB-C ports on your computer may be T3 so make sure you have the right port. Other than that, Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible with T1 & T2 so if you have a T3 port, your BM Mini Recorder should work assuming you've got a good T3(USB-C) to T2 adapter that's windows certified.

This may or may not be related but when I use the Mini Recorder on Windows 10 Bootcamp, it won't work unless the device is connected when I boot the computer so if I accidentally disconnect the thunderbolt device I'm not able to get it to work again.
yes, I'm 110 % sure it's thunderbolt 3 port since I only have one and that's what it said in the tech specs of the laptop, I bought the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter from Apple.
Gonna give it a try to have it connected when booted up.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

The problem may be the Apple adapter itself so if it doesn't work you might want to try the Startech adapter instead since you're on the PC.

playstatixn

Post by playstatixn »

hey man you ever tried the mini recorder on NUC? will it work?
also i have an offtopic question and maybe silly do i really need egpu to work with nuc and resolume?
can i just stick a datapath fx4 to its mini dp? (fx4's outputs are synced by default?)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

hey man you ever tried the mini recorder on NUC? will it work?
I haven't tested but Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible so all you need is a TB3 to TB2 adapter.
also i have an offtopic question and maybe silly do i really need egpu to work with nuc and resolume?
can i just stick a datapath fx4 to its mini dp? (fx4's outputs are synced by default?)
You can do that no problems but of course you will be limited to smaller/simpler composition due to the limitation of the NUC's GPU.