Delay live camera feature?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
ProtonEnergy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Delay live camera feature?

Post by ProtonEnergy »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a complete novice to the world of VJing but I'm working on a fun project idea which involves intentionally delaying a live camera by a short duration (say up to 30s max depending on computing specs).

I searched for forums but didn't find a suitable answer. There is an application (see zackpoff.com) for mac, but I'm using PC. There is another open source application called kinovea which achieves the desired output, but it has no fullscreen mode.

Ideally, I'd like to live stream one layer (and add the delay to that channel), and then keep other layers free for locally stored content (in fact the plan is to point the camera and projector onto the same screen so it creates a continuous video feedback loop. This could be used to create many different types of repeating patterns for example by experimenting with camera angles, camera or projection movement, subject wearing either fully black or fully white clothing at night does some light/fire twirling or whatever etc etc).

Can Avenue achieve this and if not, is it possible to capture the output from kinovea using spout for example? or does spout only support specific applications (which kinovea may not be compatible)?

Thanks for your help folks :-)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Delay live camera feature?

Post by Arvol »

Not too familiar with delay programs or apps, but in the past I was able to stack 5-6 Delay RGB effects (built in) and maxed out the R, G, and B values. Got my delays up to the 15-20 sec range that way. just add this to one of your source inputs.

I do know that Delay RGB uses a lot of system resources, So I wonder if stacking them uses even more? I would assume it would so it may not be the best solution if you're wanting to keep your memory usage to a min. unless you have a beefy GPU, in that case it may work ok for you?