using one large deck

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
suzybee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

using one large deck

Post by suzybee »

Hi gang,

Is there any reason why it would be bad to have all my clips in one massive deck instead of in a few separate decks?
I feel that it would give me more creative freedom to have them all available and inter-mixable.

I have a windows 10 PC with 16 GB ram and a Nvidia 860 graphics card.

Thanks!
Suzybee :)

theLABVisuals

Re: using one large deck

Post by theLABVisuals »

I don't think there is any problem with that at all. Depending on how you use your controller (MIDI or OSC). I've uploaded a small video showing it work with an APC40 mkII.

I'd set a MIDI control // OSC value [Preview] clip at regular intervals. I've used 12 clips per "hotkey".

Then when you press the mapped button on your controller it will preview only the clip and the entire deck content will move forward or back. Do make sure though you have set Resolume preferences to "Update tip panel on external triggers" (See attached image) [Preferences] / [General].
1_Update_External.png
phpBB [video]

One "obvious" obvious thing I'd look out for is available ram, and overall deck size. It's likely to take a while to load a massive deck of content and if one or two files moved folder than relocating them could be an issue.
Introducing ARC - The APC40 mkII Extender.
ARC brings you 640 clip triggers, 128 Faders, 128 Track pots, 80 Scene launch, 16 foot switches and more.
https://www.theapc40extender.co.uk

suzybee

Re: using one large deck

Post by suzybee »

Hiya,

Thanks,
that's an extremely helpful response!

I have a touch screen (it's great!) so i trigger my clips by touching the screen with my finger so it's really intuitive. Your suggestion to create preview triggers is a really interesting way to navigate a long deck, thanks!
Very kind of you to post a video, too!

I have 16GB Ram and i could try to work out the deck size... it won't be that much though, as all the clips i have come to 14 GB and i won't be using all of them.

I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
Suzybee :)