Mis-Labeled Outputs

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Mis-Labeled Outputs

Post by Arvol »

Kind if ran across a strange problem today, Got it resolved, but it took a little bit of playing. Wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this, or might know an easier solution?

Have a windows 10 laptop with an Intel GPU and a nVidia GTX 1060 GPU. Both control panels show the secondary monitor as monitor 2, but in Resolume it's showing as monitor 4??
ALSO..... I have scaling turned off in nVidia and set to 100% in windows. I can see my desktop BG on the monitor, but when i turn on Resolume and set it up as the output monitor i get nothing. I go into nVidia's control panel and check the "override scalling by application" and then the output turns on and works. BUT..... When I close and re-open Resolume, the same problem happens, but If I un-check the checkbox that I just checked, it starts to work again.

Idea's anyone?

Also, is there a way to only use the nVidia and set it as the primary GPU for everything (don't want to completely disable it) I haven't had an issue with gpu switching that I've seen, but I just want to take it out of the equation if possible.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Mis-Labeled Outputs

Post by Joris »

Don't worry about the labelling. Deep inside the guts of Windows, displays are just tracked differently.

Your problem is Optimus. Optimus is what takes care of switching between your Intel and Nvidia GPU, and currently it's being a little bitch. You can read more about what's going on here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13529&p=58042&hilit=optimus#p57494

According to MSI, this problem will be fixed in the Windows 10 RS2 update.

Your best bet is to completely disable the Intel GPU in BIOS, or wait for Optimus to patch things up.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Perfect. Thank you Joris. You're a champ! :)

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

Wow... I thought I was losing my mind...

I have been trying to stress test a razer blade and a msi stealth both with the same gtx 1080 setup and I have been seeing display four as my secondary output even though I only have one connected... and I havent been able to push any graphics to the secondary display.

Joris do you have any advice on how to go about fussing with the bios?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To be completely honest, I don't recommend fussing around with the BIOS unless you really know what you're doing.

Also keep in mind that not every laptop has the option to disable the internal GPU completely. I've been reading that some "VR-ready" laptops are shipping with this as a "feature". Apparently, Optimus is causing problems with VR sets as well, and you need to disable it via BIOS to get the set to work.

From https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... g-laptops/
(..) there are other devils to watch out for. The biggest is Nvidia Optimus, technology which decides whether or not to route an application through the dedicated GPU. In most cases this can be a huge boon to battery life. But it has the potential to wreak havoc if the user has a VR headset connected.

“The problem is that even if the dedicated card generates an image, the integrated card is what outputs that image to a monitor,” Lyons told me. “With VR, that monitor is your headset. Unfortunately integrated cards just aren’t powerful enough to output images to a VR headset without latency. There are workarounds to make VR work on a laptop with Optimus, but since the HDMI port is connected to the integrated card there is no way to bypass it. ”