Large Video Textures lagging/stuttering

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Large Video Textures lagging/stuttering

Post by Arvol »

Gotcha.
Makes sense on the flash, and with no onboard that would make a little sense, not so much of there are multiple cards.

I'd shoot an email.
Maybe try it without SLI before you do?
Wish I could have been more help. Best of luck :)

Frischvergiftung
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Frischvergiftung »

yeah thanks, we wrote them, maybe they know some voodoo to make this work... thank you!

Frischvergiftung

next day we're still troubleshooting. but two things we already learned are:

1) our two graphics cards didn't run on 16 pcie lanes each. one of them only used 8 lanes, because the guy who built the machine stuck one of the m2 cards in a slot that it had to share with the graphics card. removed that m2 card, so thats better now. both cards at 16 lanes now.

2) our 6 x 1 grid texture at 11520 x 1200 px will run nowhere as smooth as a file with the same amount of pixels but using a 2 x 3 grid at 3840 x 3600 px. the latter will perform better.

still puzzling...

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Frischvergiftung wrote:next day we're still troubleshooting. but two things we already learned are:

1) our two graphics cards didn't run on 16 pcie lanes each. one of them only used 8 lanes, because the guy who built the machine stuck one of the m2 cards in a slot that it had to share with the graphics card. removed that m2 card, so thats better now. both cards at 16 lanes now.

2) our 6 x 1 grid texture at 11520 x 1200 px will run nowhere as smooth as a file with the same amount of pixels but using a 2 x 3 grid at 3840 x 3600 px. the latter will perform better.

still puzzling...
Resolume only uses one card for processing. Having the second in x8 shouldn't matter at all. It's just an expensive way to share textures from your main card. Did the resolume guys say that was an issue?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Underneath the hood, GPUs really like working with powers of 2. It's a math thing.

When you have an image of 11520 x 1200, your nearest powers of 2 that make up the texture are 16384 x 2048. When you use 3840 x 3600, the nearest powers of 2 are 4096 x 4096. This essentially halves the texture size.
Resolume only uses one card for processing. Having the second in x8 shouldn't matter at all. It's just an expensive way to share textures from your main card.
The texture still has to travel via the mobo to the second GPU. Using a faster PCIe lane for this, does impact performance. Granted this impact depends on many factors, and it is very likely not the reason for the bottleneck or stuttering OP is experiencing. But to say it shouldn't matter at all is taking a very steep turn through the curve.

Supernova
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Supernova »

I think I may know what is causing this. Sounds very similar to something I dealt with. In short, I think the problem is that you are running outputs on two graphics cards. Arena can't just take the section of video needed for those outputs and send it over, it sends the entire composition across. So when doing a large texture like this, that is a lot of information to duplicate. Try this as a test: Run a video on loop. Open the advanced output menu and set the outputs that are coming from the second card to "virtual". See if you notice any changes in the playback quality. If it gets better let me know and I will dive into the next step.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

The texture still has to travel via the mobo to the second GPU. Using a faster PCIe lane for this, does impact performance. Granted this impact depends on many factors, and it is very likely not the reason for the bottleneck or stuttering OP is experiencing. But to say it shouldn't matter at all is taking a very steep turn through the curve.

My assumption was that the bandwidth of the x8 would of had the head room so it didn't act as a limiter. But that isnt very true and my absolute wording is pretty wrong for sure!

Also thanks for explaining rules of 2 I'm saving that one in the memory banks.
Last edited by drazkers on Wed May 03, 2017 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Frischvergiftung

hi peeps,

been offline for a while... thanks for all the answers, also to you joris for getting back. we've been able to reduce the stutters to around one every 20 seconds by splitting up our comp into smaller junks and also reducing the overall comp size accordingly. for sources of our advanced outputs we now use layers instead of the whole comp. works much better now, even with the two graphics cards.

we will test the 4096x4096 setup. cause not having to split up stuff would really save us a lot of time and worries.

in the meantime, i am curious how this file of ours performs on your machines, keep an eye on the movement of the squares do they run through smoothly?

http://frischvergiftung.de/public/Grid_ ... 0x3600.zip

i also made a 4096x4096 testclip, how does that run on your sides? better? couldnt test here yet

http://frischvergiftung.de/public/Grid_ ... 6-4096.zip

Frischvergiftung

to wrap this up: we ended up living with the stutters, not enough time... didnt look so bad, but still...