Apply Source effect to Comp instead of Deck?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DumbNoob
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Apply Source effect to Comp instead of Deck?

Post by DumbNoob »

Hello,

I'm using the Stroboscope source effect as a clip to each deck (I have 20+ decks). It shows up on the same layer and row number for every deck. I'm using TouchOSC to connect that clip and then kill it. It's a verycrude way of accomplishing my goal:

• trigger the stroboscope clip (push button 1)
• use a slider that is mapped to a Link that adjusts the Frequency of the strobe
• kill clip (push button 2)

The problem is that I have copied this clip to each Deck. I want this to be a universal effect but, since it's a Source, I can't apply it as a Comp effect.
I'm all ears for any advice, thank you!

fdevil
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Apply Source effect to Comp instead of Deck?

Post by fdevil »

Suggestion: Use a router source with all above on a top layer and use the strobe there
Correct ?

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

fdevil wrote:Use a router source with all above on a top layer and use the strobe there
Thanks for your response. I am sorry that I am not familiar with the Layer Router source effect. So, I would create a new layer above all other layers, apply Layer Router as a Clip on there and then...? I'm not sure what that effect is supposed to accomplish. I will read the manual in the meantime, thanks.

fdevil

Post by fdevil »

Sorry the way I said it was wrong, I took the problem the other way :D :
create a new layer with just one clip : your strobe
use a router source instead of each strobe in your layers with the strobe layer as source !
use OSC to control the strobe fx
fire your strobe at start
fire your clips as usual
OK this way ?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Maybe I'm missing something on your setup procedure, But couldn't use just build an FX cue that follows this order:

Add/Subtract {Red} (Red and Intensity @ 100% Everything else at 0%)
Add/Subtract {Green} (Green and Intensity @ 100% Everything else at 0%)
Add/Subtract {Blue} (Blue and Intensity @ 100% Everything else at 0%)
Add/Subtract {Cyan} (Green, Blue and Intensity @ 100% Everything else at 0%)
Add/Subtract {Yellow} (Red, Green and Intensity @ 100% Everything else at 0%)
Add/Subtract {Magenta} (Red, Blue and Intensity @ 100% Everything else at 0%)
Add/Subtract {White} (Red, Green, Blue and Intensity @ 100%)
Strobe

You can assign the Frequency of the Strobe, as well as the Color Bypasses to your device. This will allow for a master strobe of any color (Black if you choose no colors) to any deck you are working out of. The ONLY catch is, there HAS to be at least 1 video clip playing in your layers. Doesn't matter what it is, but your composition needs 1 clip playing in order for the strobe FX to work.

Am I missing anything here?

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

fdevil wrote:Sorry the way I said it was wrong, I took the problem the other way :D :
create a new layer with just one clip : your strobe
use a router source instead of each strobe in your layers with the strobe layer as source !
use OSC to control the strobe fx
fire your strobe at start
fire your clips as usual
OK this way ?
Still not having success. Here's how I have it set up:

• Deck 1, layer 9 has Stroboscope applied to Cell 1
• Deck 2, layer 9, Cell 1 has Layer Router applied. Layer Router is set to Layer 9.
• If I fire Stroboscope from D1 L9, firing the Layer Router on D2L9... kills Stroboscope from D1L9

I'm not even to OSC yet, just trying to figure out how to get this source effect triggered without having to copy it to every deck. Thanks.

fdevil

Post by fdevil »

suggestions :
1) and if you put the strobe only clip of the layer at a cell that is not used by another layer ?
2) and if you put the strobe layer on the first deck below the others ?
3) try to use router and strob on the same deck
not sure searching
Last edited by fdevil on Mon May 15, 2017 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

dinga wrote:Maybe I'm missing something on your setup procedure, But couldn't use just build an FX cue that follows this order:

Strobe

You can assign the Frequency of the Strobe, as well as the Color Bypasses to your device. This will allow for a master strobe of any color (Black if you choose no colors) to any deck you are working out of. The ONLY catch is, there HAS to be at least 1 video clip playing in your layers. Doesn't matter what it is, but your composition needs 1 clip playing in order for the strobe FX to work.

This sounds intriguing and a quick test showed some interesting stuff but not enough time to get comprehensive. Back to you tomorrow, thank you.

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

dinga wrote:Maybe I'm missing something on your setup procedure, But couldn't use just build an FX cue that follows this order:

Strobe

Hi,

Before I dive in and try to build this, here is the goal:

• Fire a strobe effect and apply it to the comp so it does not need to be placed on a layer of a deck, multiple decks, etc.

I'm an idiot. Didn't realize the Strobe effect had the same parameters as the Stroboscope source effect.

Following your instructions above, I had to put the Strobe effect at the top of the FX stack and Add/Subtract effects below it. If I put Add/Subtract above Strobe, the color from A/S effect would cover everything (only the color from A/S was visible, not other clips playing in the Comp).
So, Strobe at top of FX stack and A/S FX below it. Now the trouble is that the color from the A/S effect appears to be making a "double flash". Hard to explain.
Blend mode on both Strobe and A/S is set to Alpha, if that makes any difference.
Strobe effect - Opacity at 1.00 Fade applied. Hue1 at 0. Sat 1 at 0. Brightness 1 at 1.0 Alpha at 1.00

Few other issues - if I assign a bypass to each A/S effect as a button for EACH bypass, I'll be stuck tapping to bypass a bunch of effects before I can, ultimately, have the desired color active/"solo'd". Seems annoying, any advice?

Also, I DON'T need any other clip running in order to get the strobe effect showing up. Remember, all of these effects are applied to the Comp effects.

Here's my next problem. I have a large series of comp FX applied that already use up all eight links. I'm all ears for how to accomplish this effect without removing my other comp effects that are assigned to the Comp FX links.
The slider or rotary would, ideally, be a link to control the frequency of the strobe. That's about it.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your help.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I might be using my strobe fx differently than you are.
When I fire a strobe, I don't have the clips playing under it visible, at all.
The purpose of my strobes is to fully take over the walls and slices and have the strobe become it's own element.
If you only wish to strobe your content on and off, you can completely ditch the other A/S fx.

I get what you're saying about moving the strobe to the top of the fx list, problem I've had in doing so, is that my visuals do not play through properly and my strobe fx is completely un-usable when ANY clip is active. If you remove the A/S everything works fine, but I have to have my strobe at the bottom of the fx list.

I'm really not that familiar with OSC, so any external triggering I reference is strictly MIDI, I would assume that their functionality is fairly similar (with OSC having more functionality).

When I trigger my strobes, I have a Piano on/off button selected for my strobe, a Piano on/off button for my colors (I also have an Invert RGB fx as a color) right next to my strobe button. And a knob or fader assigned to the frequency of the strobe (I typically limit the start value to .65 and end value always at a .99 value)
With this setup, I have a small portion of my MIDI controller (typical in one of the 4 corners for ease of access) dedicated strictly to my strobe fx, and since I use my strobe fx more than ANY other fx, it want it to be accessible as possible.
I use Bomes to color code my buttons but I would assume with OSC you can do the same. I can easily find the color I want to strobe and press it along with the strobe button simultaneously and quickly adjust the speed all at the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonus reading that doesn't apply to your setup.....
Recently I've completely moved away from composition fx.
I run 8 layers and I have the same fx on each layer mapped to the same MIDI buttons. This allows me to do some fun stuff with layer router (I won't get into all of that fun jazz on this topic).
But at all times, my very top layer (8) is nothing more than a strobe layer (I like to strobe the kids).
I keep my strobe layer bypassed and I have solid colors (R,G,B,C,Y,M,W) added in the first 7 columns and an Invert RGB fx loaded as a clip ion column 8. In my layer 8 fx I have strobe turned on. I map the colors of the strobe the same way I've always done it except this time they are NOT Piano (since my layer is always bypassed no one sees the solid colors), and I have my strobe fx button now mapped to layer 8's bypass button set to Piano. Strobe frequency is mapped the same. This allows me for a 1 finger push to fire my strobes rather than the previous 2 finger method (one for color and one for strobe). My other hand still controls the speed.

Only downside to this is I have to copy/paste to EVERY deck.
It took me about 2 hours to setup my master comp (20 some decks with 75 clips per deck) but I've been using this comp all year and love it. Only changes I make is swapping out content from time to time.

Just a different way to do things I suppose?

Hope some of this helps you