3 duplicate screen in composition?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

3 duplicate screen in composition?

Post by Digitrevx »

I've read questions that have come up about duplicating 2 screens by using a trick with the slide effect.

However that solution works for 2 screens. I've tried a layer router method which seemed really complicated, ugly, and limiting and consumes view able deck space for clips. I can only see 7 layers high with my monitor so avoiding entire layers dedicated to layer routers is best.

I've tried the tile effect which just about works and great because the effect works on a layer level so you have full control on which layers you want to tile not ALL or ONE and at the price of using layer real estate.

The draw back to using the tile effect is when you tile your video 3 times it requires being scaled 300%. The tile effects texture size seems to be locked the the footage resolution. So the details of your 1080p video is now lost when it's tiled even though the footage duplicated 3x should be 5760 x 1080.

Layer routers help maintain the resolution but have draw backs like options such as only focus on ALL or ONE layer at a time. Then it required 2 slide effects on that layer router with very careful positioning with the blend modes set to add to achieve anything close to 3 tiles screens. Also the center imaged would be every so slightly brighter with isn't great.

The other downside is lets say you wanted a layer that spans across all screens (Not duplicated) then want 2 or more layers above that with 1080p content that you want to duplicate 3 times. A layer router can't select individual layers to route beyond 1.

The reason I'm looking for a solution is so existing 1080p content can be duplicated across 3 screens. But also have layers like masks that are not duplicated but instead span across all 3 screens as one large image. I've tried for day's to find the best solution in Resolume and I'm pretty disappointed with the results.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: 3 duplicate screen in composition?

Post by Joris »

Flip the order of the effects and the transform.

https://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/effects#render_order

AdevProjects

Post by AdevProjects »

I dont know if this is the most efficient way to do this performance wise, but this works:
triple wide.jpg
Note the 0.33 is actually 0.333333

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

You can also just use the plugin i made, it duplicates the screen 4 times with paramters to use, I also have a pro version which does 9 screens. Let me know if you want it.

What system are you on, Win or OSX?

viewtopic.php?t=12818&p=52561#p52561
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Joris wrote:Flip the order of the effects and the transform.

https://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/effects#render_order
I feel dumb I must have missed this.. Thank you!
With tile it still takes some crazy tweaking but I might be able to get it to work moving the transforms up. ><
I did notice it greatly correct the resolution part of the problem!
Last edited by Digitrevx on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

t13swift wrote:I dont know if this is the most efficient way to do this performance wise, but this works:

triple wide.jpg

Note the 0.33 is actually 0.333333
Yaaa this is the method I was using on layer routers. I notice that depending on the content you'll notice one of the 3 screens come out brighter since there seems to be duplicated content overlapping on one of them. I was trying to use layer routers to cheat it to fix that issue. It does work on the layer level which is great. But the same ocd that noticed the resolution problem also noticed the bright screen and was driving me nuts. ><
Last edited by Digitrevx on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

hive8 wrote:You can also just use the plugin i made, it duplicates the screen 4 times with paramters to use, I also have a pro version which does 9 screens. Let me know if you want it.

What system are you on, Win or OSX?

viewtopic.php?t=12818&p=52561#p52561
Maybe it can be shifted to do 3 instead or 4? I'd love to try it!
Oh also win 10 x64 system. :)

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

Oh with the plugin you can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 pro version up to 9. You can turn them on or off, you don't have to use 4 or up to 9, its up to you how you configure it.

Also since it is a effect you can add it on the clip, layer or composition, and save presets.
Future version will also have a rotation and opacity slider per screen for even more control.
Capture010.PNG
Follow the link in the post above, you can download it and try if you email me i can send it direct as well.

Send me a PM and i send my email.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

hive8 wrote:Oh with the plugin you can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 pro version up to 9. You can turn them on or off, you don't have to use 4 or up to 9, its up to you how you configure it.

Also since it is a effect you can add it on the clip, layer or composition, and save presets.
Future version will also have a rotation and opacity slider per screen for even more control.

Capture010.PNG

Follow the link in the post above, you can download it and try if you email me i can send it direct as well.

Ok I'll be sure to check it out this morning for sure!

To Joris: I was able to get the tiling corrected with the transforms moved to the top. But the scale needs to still be set to 300% with the height transform activated and set to 350.00. Then the tile effect set to 0.05 on the x axis. Visually it seems to be correct but I don't know if there is a better setting. :)

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

hive8 wrote: Follow the link in the post above, you can download it and try if you email me i can send it direct as well.

I gave it a shot, and it seems very powerful. I had to do what Joris suggested still by moving the transforms up to the top above the effect stack otherwise it was still pixelated.

I've only had luck with these settings:

Layer transforms
height (Checked on) 360.00
scale 300.00

middle screen
x 0.4999
y 0.5001
scale x 0.3333
scale y 1.0000

Left screen
x 0.3333
y 0.5001
scale x 0.3333
scale y 1.0000

Right screen
x 0.6666
y 0.5001
scale x 0.3333
scale y 1.0000

Does that seem right to you? It was the only way for me to get it to match the slices pixel perfect according to my monitor. ><