Lumiverse Routing Problem

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Mitch
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Lumiverse Routing Problem

Post by Mitch »

I've got Resolume Arena 5 running on a Macbook Pro, connected via Gigabit switch to two AlphaPix 16 pixel controllers, each feeding a separate pixel array.

I mapped 12 universes of pixels, one lumiverse per universe, in Resolume's DMX output panel.

In Unicast mode, I can assign the IP address of either controller and get either one to work. The problem I'm having is when I try to get both controllers going simultaneously. I don't see a way on the controllers to specify the Artnet subnet required for universes 17-24 (which I would need for the second controller) that is a part of the output routing in Resolume. It seems they default to listen to subnet 0, which is working as expected.

In the short term, I would be ok with sending the same content to both of my pixel arrays. I would assume that in broadcast mode, I could map my 12 universes, which I know works, and have both controllers' SPIs set to listen to the same Lumiverses. The problem here is, when I set the output routing in Resolume to Broadcast, I'm not getting any of the traffic to the controllers. As I said earlier, I can specify the IP addresses in Unicast, but the controllers' IDs are not auto-recognized by Resolume in Broadcast mode so I assume this may be a part of the issue.

So, all that to say, if you have any thoughts on how to point subnet 1 to my second controller, or how to get Broadcast mode working on my controllers, or some other way to be able to send the proper DMX info to my two controllers, please let me know,

Thanks!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Lumiverse Routing Problem

Post by Arvol »

I personally use an Elation eNode for this exact reason. LED controllers are a single universe and i use the eNode to split those up. They might make LED controllers with built in universe settings, but I haven't found any for under $100 and thats the budget I usually have for projects with this setup.

https://www.usedlighting.com/34372/elation-enode-8-pro

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I'm not sure I understand your problem correctly, but...
If you do unicast, you can send
one output to device A universe 1 - patched to lumiverse 1
another output to device B universe 1 - patched to lumiverse 2
You don't have to have the lumiverse an Universe numbers match in the output.
Lumiverse is an internal 512 channels of data that you can software patch to any, and multiple DMX / artnet universes in preferences.
So to have the same content displayed you can do that via Unicast too.
Broadcast should be working tho.
Do you have a class C or class B network? (netmask 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0)
what are the IP addresses of the controllers?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

oh. and do you have any other network interface connected?
Broadcast packets will go to the primary adapter.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

ravensc wrote:I'm not sure I understand your problem correctly, but...
If you do unicast, you can send
You don't have to have the lumiverse an Universe numbers match in the output.
I'll check again, but believe I got an error when trying to route the same Lumiverse to two separate outputs in preferences.
ravensc wrote: Broadcast should be working tho.
Do you have a class C or class B network? (netmask 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0)
what are the IP addresses of the controllers?
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

My Macbook running Resolume is set to 192.168.0.10
Controller 1 is set to 192.168.0.50 (default for the device)
Controller 2 is set to 192.168.0.51

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

ravensc wrote:oh. and do you have any other network interface connected?
Broadcast packets will go to the primary adapter.
I disabled the WiFi on the Macbook, so just the single Ethernet out. The Macbook and the two controllers are the only things on the switch.

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

ravensc wrote: If you do unicast, you can send
When I try to assign a second Lumiverse to a previously assigned universe, I get an error message in red saying "ArtNet Output for Lumiverse 2 (Used by different entry)"

If there's something g I'm missing about the output assignment, please let me know.

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Right, I remember now that there was this issue, where resoulume doesn't let you send the same universe to a different IP.

Broadcast should work if you have only one network adapter active.
try entering 192.168.0.255 as the IP address, this is the broadcast address for the IP range you have.

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I did a little more research and switched the IP assignments to 2.x.x.x for everything. I am now able to see the controllers in Resolume, and broadcast mode works. I can show the same content on both pixel arrays. Not exactly sure why that IP space is different, but maybe I fixed some other addressing error by starting over...

If anyone has thoughts on how to route ArtNet subsets to my AlphaPix controllers, let me know. I would like to have the option to show separate content on each pixel array, but at least can live with what I have working in the short term.

Thanks for the help!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Setting the Universe number in the controllers would be the best way for now

phpBB [video]