R6 betah - loading a R5 composition

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

R6 betah - loading a R5 composition

Post by yochee »

hey ho,

it seems to be impossible to load an Arena 5 compo into Arena 6 beta.
In the compositions browser the resolution of all my Arena 5 compos is 0x0

other stuff is working well, overall looks are sleek. some fx seem to have changed a little, Line Scape for example looks quite a bit different, but very good.
Starting and quitting the program now is really fast, yay!
The Advanced Output seems to haven't evolved at all, for example masking a single slice still is impossible..

lots of great new stuff to learn!
cheers!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: R6 betah - loading a R5 composition

Post by Oaktown »

yochee wrote:it seems to be impossible to load an Arena 5 compo into Arena 6 beta.
In the compositions browser the resolution of all my Arena 5 compos is 0x0
Resolume wrote:Why can't I load my Res 4 or 5 compositions?
It's still a work in progress. In the final release, you'll be able to import all your old comps. Right now, let's focus on what's new instead of what's old!

aeldryn
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by aeldryn »

Especially for testing the new beta would be great to import old comp and test it live. It is really hard to recontruct old compositions just step by step with all parameters... could be whole day work.
Is importing R5 comp. that hard function to add in the beginning?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The idea of a beta is to find potential problems, figure out what's causing them, and solve them quickly.

When you load a composition, a 1000 things are happening at the same time. Memory is cleared, clips are added, settings are changed, effects are applied, etc, etc. When something then goes wrong, it is insanely difficult for us to figure out which of those 1000 things caused it, because they were all happening at the same time.

When you create a new comp from scratch, you do all these actions as well, except you do them consciously, step by step. You load content, then you change settings, then you add effects. If it goes wrong during one of those steps, it's very easy for you to use the crash reporter and say 'it crashed while I loaded this clip'. And then it's very easy for us to fix it.