Edit MIDI - Context menu weirdness | v6 Beta 3

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Edit MIDI - Context menu weirdness | v6 Beta 3

Post by subpixel »

1. When the right-click / cotext menu is popped up for an UI element, you cannot use mose scrollwheel to scroll layers.
  2. When you click "Clear Shortcut" the shortcut is cleared and the context menu stays open. Perhaps this is "By design" so you can select another menu option, however as mentioned in (1) it also means you can't scroll the layers with the mouse wheel.
  3. If you change the target of a shortcut to "This Layer" or "Selected Layer", the context menu options for "Clear Shortcut" and "Duplicate Shortcut" are not available. If selected and Target changed back to "By Position", the context menu options are available again. Seems only other way to delete "This Layer" and "Selected Layer" shortcuts is to select the UI element or click the list item in the Shortcuts tab to select that shortcut and use the "Delete" context menu on the list item in the Shortcuts tab.
  4. If you create a "By Position" shortcut and a "This Layer" for the same UI element, when you select the "This Layer" shortcut the context menu can show "Delete Shortcut" or "Delete Shortcuts", which seems to mean to delete the "By Position" shortcut(s). This is really confusing. Suggest renaming context menu item to "Delete By Position Shortcut(s)"
  5. Further to (4), if you have multiple "This Layer" shortcuts for the same UI element, the "Clear Shortcut" or "Clear Shortcuts" context menu item for a "This Layer" shortcut only clears the "Position" shortcut(s), not the other "This Layer" shortcut(s).
  6. Extend (5) and (6) to "Selected Layer" shortcuts and "This Clip" shortcuts.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Edit MIDI - Context menu weirdness | v6 Beta 3

Post by Zoltán »

subpixel wrote:1. When the right-click / cotext menu is popped up for an UI element, you cannot use mose scrollwheel to scroll layers.
I don't know any programs where you can scroll contents when a right click menu is open.
subpixel wrote:2. When you click "Clear Shortcut" the shortcut is cleared and the context menu stays open. Perhaps this is "By design" so you can select another menu option, however as mentioned in (1) it also means you can't scroll the layers with the mouse wheel.
I don't think this is by design, I created a ticket. #9850
subpixel wrote:If you change the target of a shortcut to "This Layer" or "Selected Layer", the context menu options for "Clear Shortcut" and "Duplicate Shortcut" are not available.
created a ticket #9851
subpixel wrote:If you create a "By Position" shortcut and a "This Layer" for the same UI element, when you select the "This Layer" shortcut the context menu can show "Delete Shortcut" or "Delete Shortcuts",
which UI element are you getting this for?
subpixel wrote:5. Further to (4), if you have multiple "This Layer" shortcuts for the same UI element, the "Clear Shortcut" or "Clear Shortcuts" context menu item for a "This Layer" shortcut only clears the "Position" shortcut(s), not the other "This Layer" shortcut(s).
you can click both shortcuts separately, so the menu that appears on right click should only affect the one shortcut you clicked, so selecting "Clear Shortcut" should only clear one shortcut.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

Re (4): The UI element I was clicking to map was the Connectspecificclip arrow (that only appears for creating shortcuts) for a layer (Layer 3, I think).

It is possible to create one or more shortcuts for each of the Target types "By Position", "This Layer" and "Selected Layer". It isn't clear what the logic/rule is regarding what order they appear in the UI - new shortcuts don't seem to be consistently added at the top bottom, etc.

The hot zone (clickable area) for each of the (already small) sub-labels for multiple shortcuts is very small, and I often had to click around to find it. Note also that this sometimes means that you can pop up the context menu thinking it is for the shortcut your mouse is very close to, but actually selecting another shortcut. I strongly suggest making the mouse-over highlight more dramatic (as well as making the hot-zones larger).

Re (5): As noted in (3), the "Clear Shortcut" context menu option is not available to clear "This Layer" and "Selected Layer" -targeted shortcuts. However, if you access the context menu for such a shortcut AND there exists a "By Layer" shortcut, there DOES appear a "Clear Shortcut" context menu option, but the shortcut that is cleared is NOT the shortcut you selected but rather the "By Position" shortcut. If there is more than one "By Position" shortcut, the context menu option is "Clear Shortcuts" (note: plural), which clears all the "By Position" shortcuts, but not the "This Layer" nor "Selected Layer" shortcuts.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

subpixel wrote:It isn't clear what the logic/rule is regarding what order they appear in the UI - new shortcuts don't seem to be consistently added at the top bottom, etc.
Shortcuts can be sorted by name or by input. by right clicking on a shortcut in the list.
subpixel wrote:but the shortcut that is cleared is NOT the shortcut you selected
the issue seems to be that the shortcut selection jumps to the other shortcut when you click, I created a ticket regarding this.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

Zoltán wrote:the issue seems to be that the shortcut selection jumps to the other shortcut when you click, I created a ticket regarding this.
I don't believe this is the case - I have been very careful in selecting the particular shortcut and the appearance of the "Clear Shortcuts" (plural) option when there are multiple "By Position" shortcuts is definitely different to the context menu for a "By Position" shortcut.