Lag/Freeze problems in show

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
boris.lema
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Lag/Freeze problems in show

Post by boris.lema »

Hi, been new to resolume and did my first show this weekend, i bumped into some troubles,

I'm running an ASUS Rog Strix GL502VM-FY206T-BE
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core I7 7700HQ CPU @ 2.80HGz
16GB Ram

Running arena 6 beta3 and for my Harddrive (1TB) almost full of Visuals.
But after some intense visual work during show the software start to lag and even freeze (Doesn't react anymore).
i was running 1080i Comp, 1080p Visuals, 20+ decks, 20+ universes through artnet.

I dont get any crash log so i cant report it to resolume. Anyone any suggestions or same problem?
Is it because i have 20+ decks in my comp?
Because i'm running 1080P Composition and my laptop is to weak?
Is it normal i run 50-60 fps in resolume with dips to 15-20?

All tips are welcome!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Lag/Freeze problems in show

Post by Zoltán »

Playing back multiple clips from a hard drive was probably the cause of the lags.
You really need an SSD for 10-20 layers of 1080p files.
boris.lema wrote:Because i'm running 1080P Composition and my laptop is to weak?
Is it normal i run 50-60 fps in resolume with dips to 15-20?
If you have a weak laptop then yes, especially together with a slow drive. What are the specs of that laptop?

How long were these freezes, did you need to restart resolume, or just wait a few seconds?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

boris.lema

Post by boris.lema »

Zoltán wrote:Playing back multiple clips from a hard drive was probably the cause of the lags.
You really need an SSD for 10-20 layers of 1080p files.
If you have a weak laptop then yes, especially together with a slow drive. What are the specs of that laptop?

How long were these freezes, did you need to restart resolume, or just wait a few seconds?
i needed to restart resolume.... Freezes output and black out after that.

I'm running an ASUS Rog Strix GL502VM-FY206T-BE
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6000 MB)

Intel Core I7 7700HQ CPU @ 2.80HGz
16GB Ram
256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD (7200 rpm)

would replacing the HDD with an SSD 1TB solve the problem?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

We have a razer blade also with a 1060 in our benchmarks, with 10-13 4k layers @ 30fps and 20+ 1080layers with DXV clips and a single output.
I'd expect at least a comparable if not similar performance for your laptop also, in the same setup.

It's hard to tell what performance hit should be expected with 20 Lumiverses, and multiple outputs, with many slices.

You could try and run the performance benchmarks, or at least the same content from your HDD then to compare from your SSD, and switching on (or off) particular screens/lumiverses.

Resolume shouldn't crash however, no matter where your files come from.
If you can figure out any steps that recreate the crash, then we have a better chance to find out why the crash happens.
What file types/codecs did you use?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

boris.lema

Post by boris.lema »

Zoltán wrote:Resolume shouldn't crash however, no matter where your files come from.
If you can figure out any steps that recreate the crash, then we have a better chance to find out why the crash happens.
What file types/codecs did you use?
Will switch over some files to my smaller SSD and have a look if its better. If so i will replace the HDD with an SSD.

all my files are DXV3. Only thing i could think of is that the DXV3 files are sometimes to big to read from HDD. Some files are 15-50mb and some are 1.5GB....

**Edit: i converted all my clips to DXV3, High Quality with alpha.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I'm the guy who posted the Razer Blade Benchmarks.
My Blade has a m.2 SSD installed and all my clips are DXV3.
I'm not sure how much system taxing the Lumiverses will add on top of your video performance, but your hardware spec's look pretty on point for a standard 2017 gaming machine. I would highly recommend swapping out your HDD for a Samsung SSD (Evo or Pro, I prefer Pro).

I think your bottle neck is your HDD.

In resolume, is your comp settings set to normal?

In your Nvidia control panel, have your added Resolume to the custom 3D settings menu, and made the GPU processing for Resolume set to "Dedicated, High Performance"?
(I prefer turning off V-Sync at the bottom of the list of preferences as well, but people like to give me crap for turning it off. haha. Just a personal preference)

Can you verify those settings, and then report back with the results?

Can you try re-creating the same comp file in Version 5 if those settings didn't help? That way we can see if it's a Version6 problem or not?

Again, I think it's the HDD, Try moving 3-4 clips to the SSD and see how much improvement you get.

boris.lema

Post by boris.lema »

Arvol wrote: In your Nvidia control panel, have your added Resolume to the custom 3D settings menu, and made the GPU processing for Resolume set to "Dedicated, High Performance"?
(I prefer turning off V-Sync at the bottom of the list of preferences as well, but people like to give me crap for turning it off. haha. Just a personal preference)

Can you verify those settings, and then report back with the results?

Update: Changed the settings:

- Resolume 5: From 80FPS to 140,86FPS
- Resolume 6 Beta 3: From 60 to 110FPS

Already an some good results. I Copyed 5 maps of content to my SSD and did the test.

Only 3 Layers, 1-20mb Files
on my SSD: 102FPS
on my HDD: 88/97FPS

Small change but also small files so it will probably change more when i use bigger files.

Maybe another question where i can improve preformance:
How do you convert files to DXV the correct way: Quicktime DXV3 (MPEG Streamclip)

Normal or High Quality
With or without alpha?
And than you have another slider for quality 50% or 100%?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I use AME. I typically do normal without alpha for all my files.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

boris.lema wrote:Small change but also small files so it will probably change more when i use bigger files.
you'll see a bigger difference playing more files, HDD-s are not good at random reading, for SSD-s it doesn't matter much how many files there are to read.
Maybe another question where i can improve preformance:
How do you convert files to DXV the correct way: Quicktime DXV3 (MPEG Streamclip)

Normal or High Quality
With or without alpha?
And than you have another slider for quality 50% or 100%?
The quality slider has no effect on dxv Encoding as far as I know. (at least in AME it did nothing for me)
You only need alpha if your source footage has an alpha channel also for (transparent footages.)
The quality depends on your source footage too.
High quality will be better, but larger. I'd keep my old footage files for the time being and convert to normal quality, and for the files I'm not satisfied with, I'd do a re-encode to High quality.

For encoding Mpeg Streamclip should work on PC, or Adobe Media Encoder if you have it.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

For encoding Mpeg Streamclip should work on PC, or Adobe Media Encoder if you have it.
Sadly, Mpeg Streamclip's Batch feature doesn't work on my PC. It will on my Mac. I tried emailing but got no reply. Pretty sure Mpeg Streamclip is dead. What's out there, is what's out there lol