OCS Clip triggering in Resolume 6 or reducing lag in 4

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Typhoon
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

OCS Clip triggering in Resolume 6 or reducing lag in 4

Post by Typhoon »

I am new so please be gentle.
I have been emailing with support but obviously they are busy and perhaps someone in the community knows a simple solution so I am posting my questions again here. I have gotten to the point where 1 of 2 need to be solved so I will post the TLDR questions here:

1. How can I get resolume 6 to actually trigger clips with the above OSC messages from ablteton?
2. How can I get resolume 4 to initially trigger clips without any delay?

I have been making quite a bit of progress but I still need a lot of help to get this software to do what I want.
I suppose it is easier if I tell you what I want it to be doing then taking this problem by problem.
Basically I want to control Audio clips in ableton that are linked to video clips in resolume and triggered with a launch pad.

I expected that once I had LINK set up that and button I push on the launchpad would be reflected in resolume.

However this is not at all the cause. No matter what inputs and out puts and midi etc settings I try buttons on the launch pad can not trigger anything in resolume.

Obviously I am a novice at this so it is probably something very simply like the "view link button" thing I was missing before.
I thought I should try something else so I tried to midi map the clip launch buttons from live into resolume with straight mouse clicks. But resolume does not seem to get those particular midi messages despite the clock messages streaming in.
I then tried a midi keyboard and while the key presses themselves could not be mapped in resolume, the knob twists could.
Upon further inspection. Correct me if I am wrong, but ableton LINK doesnt send anything other than midi timecode.
So I started looking into ways to get control messages to resolume and searching the forums I found this:

http://resolume.com/blog/8717/max-for-l ... me-patches

Sadly they did not work.
I found that with everything set with the right ip and ports etc, and also using OSC monitor, messages were being transmitted to the resolume PC but nothing was happening in the software itself.

I noticed the little triangle on the OSC settings page and saw this:
IMG_20171022_172859 - Copy (Large).jpg
Please forgive the photo and not an actual screenshot. So OSC messages are getting into resolume 6 but not causing clips to fire.

Knowing that people have had success before. I tried resolume 4 which I also have a license for and it works.

I would be happy with using 4 as it is however I noticed a problem.

With midi and BPM synced there is a delay when first triggering a clip. Even with clips set to timeline it seems as though the first triggering of a clip has a few milliseconds but very noticeable delay with subsequent triggerings being instant.

I am hoping that particular timing issue is solved by Ableton link.

1. How can I get resolume 6 to actually trigger clips with the above OSC messages from ablteton?

It has literally been 3 days of googling and searching these forums to try to find a solution to both problems.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: OCS Clip triggering in Resolume 6 or reducing lag in 4

Post by Zoltán »

Typhoon wrote: 1. How can I get resolume 6 to actually trigger clips with the above OSC messages from ablteton?
1. you can't with these OSC messages(unless you rewrite every single OSC address to custom.), Resolume 6 has a different formatting now, you can view the addresses for GUI items in the OSC Shortcut mapping.
Generally the clip trigger address in Resolume 6 is like:
/composition/layers/5/clips/4/connect 1

2. perhaps you have the composition or clip beat snap enabled, so your clips wait till the next given beat snap to trigger.
I expected that once I had LINK set up that and button I push on the launchpad would be reflected in resolume....
..Correct me if I am wrong, but ableton LINK doesnt send anything other than midi timecode.
Simply put Ableton Link is not exactly timecode, but rather the beatmark position, so yeah, it won't trigger any clips, but it will allow you to sync up two or more machines to the beat, so you can launch beat snapped.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by p8guitar »

Zoltán wrote: ...Resolume 6 has a different formatting now, you can view the addresses for GUI items in the OSC Shortcut mapping.
What does the "1" do in your example?

I'm sending OSC messages from Ableton Live (with Livegrabber Max 4Live devices) to Resolume 6.
When I activate "shortcuts/edit OSC" in Resolume 6 and select the first clip in layer 3 , Resolume tells me that the OSC input should be
/composition/layers/3/clips/1/connect
/composition/selectedclip/connect
Apparently I only need to write the first line (/composition/layers/3/clips/1/connect) and ignore the second line (/composition/selectedclip/connect) and put a "1" behind that,
Triggering clips works with this method, but I'd like to understand it - what does the "1" do?
Arena 7.2.1; Ableton Live 10.1.18 controlling Arena with OSC; Schenker W507 mobile Workstation: i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

p8guitar wrote: What does the "1" do in your example?
It means you have to send an Integer 1 to the specified address to make the clip launch.
For each mapped OSC address you can get the expected data type tag and also the possible values in OSC Shortcut mapping.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zoltán wrote: 1. you can't with these OSC messages(unless you rewrite every single OSC address to custom.), Resolume 6 has a different formatting now, you can view the addresses for GUI items in the OSC Shortcut mapping.
Ok. So it seems this plug ins are out of date. For someone with no max4live experience how difficult would it be for me to fix this problem, or do you or anyone else have an easier/better solution to get ableton and resolume to work together?

Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Typhoon wrote: Ok. So it seems this plug ins are out of date. For someone with no max4live experience how difficult would it be for me to fix this problem, or do you or anyone else have an easier/better solution to get ableton and resolume to work together?
The plugins also work with Resolume 5 with their current addresses.
The OSC addresses in the patch can be rewritten quite easily with MAX, unfortunately my MAX trial has expired.
The addresses are in the "p send" object in the Resolume clip launcher patch.
Attachments
Képernyőfotó 2017-10-23 - 20.49.44.png

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zoltán wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Ok. So it seems this plug ins are out of date. For someone with no max4live experience how difficult would it be for me to fix this problem, or do you or anyone else have an easier/better solution to get ableton and resolume to work together?
The plugins also work with Resolume 5 with their current addresses.
The OSC addresses in the patch can be rewritten quite easily with MAX, unfortunately my MAX trial has expired.
The addresses are in the "p send" object in the Resolume clip launcher patch.
This is great information. Thank you. I just bought version 4/6 so I do not have access to 5 so I have not tried.
It sounds like a simple fix. Though I have no idea what I am looking at.
I am sure in time I can figure it out, and will do my best. However if it is something super simple and someone who knows what they are doing could update these plugins in a couple minutes I would very much appreciate it and I am sure anyone else in the community who uses these plugins would too.

That being said if I can somehow manage I will of course post the updates here as well.
Thanks!

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Forgive me if I am asking a seemingly obvious question.
I have registered MX and have the dispatcher open and opened the P SEND however I am not sure what I need to be editing and to what I need to be editing it to.

Could you please tell me what it is I need to change?
Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

It should be the sprintf line
replacing "/layer" with "/composition/layers/"
and replacing "/clip" with "/clips/"
and also "/track" with "/composition/columns/".

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I think that has done it!

I edited the patch as you said and it seems to be working!
resolume 6 edits.PNG
My edits are as above.
I have included the patch here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 6494850793

Thanks for the help!