Enttec DMX USB Pro Input gone in Arena 6?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Enttec DMX USB Pro Input gone in Arena 6?

Post by dbassix »

Hi,

Is there no more Enttec Support for DMX Input in Arena 6?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Enttec DMX USB Pro Input gone in Arena 6?

Post by Oaktown »

No USB support but you can still use an Enttec Artnet box to get DMX into Arena 6.

dbassix

Post by dbassix »

Why are working things gone and be removed? And what if your lightdesk actually has no artnet output?
Do i have to tell my customers that want to upgrade to Arena 6, or already had, do buy aditional hardware now, just to get dmx into his servers? Thats ridiculous, pay fot the upgrade and after the upgrade you pay for the hardware. And its even not mentioned in the tech specs. All the new features are mentioned, please also advice about the removed features and hardware support.

Tech Specs say:
Output and Receive DMX via Artnet and Enttec USB devices.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Sorry, I may have spoken too quickly! From a past thread in the forum, I know Arena 6 doesn't support Enttec OpenDMX USB, but it's possible it might still support the DMX USB Pro hardware.

If it does, I'm sure someone from the Resolume team will confirm.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Sorry, DMX via USB is out. https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx#a-w ... sb-devices

Could you let me know where you found that "Output and Receive DMX via Artnet and Enttec USB devices." That should be removed.

dbassix

Post by dbassix »

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Why are working things gone and be removed? And what if your lightdesk actually has no artnet output?
Do i have to tell my customers that want to upgrade to Arena 6, or already had, do buy aditional hardware now, just to get dmx into his servers?
Yes but I personally don't think it's a big deal and certainly not a huge investment to go from DMX to USB to DMX over Ethernet. It's also much more reliable and widely available!
Thats ridiculous, pay for the upgrade and after the upgrade you pay for the hardware.
There are many options out there and I can't imagine your clients would need to invest more than $250 to get this rolling so I'm sure your clients will be OK financially. No one ever claimed this was an inexpensive business to be in ;)
And its even not mentioned in the tech specs. All the new features are mentioned, please also advice about the removed features and hardware support.
As a reminder, the Resolume team has been working around the clock for the past many months to release this amazing new version so it's possible they've missed a few corrections on their website!

Also keep in mind that sometimes moving forward means removing old standards the same way apple removed the 1/8" plug on their new phones!

JoeMattie
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by JoeMattie »

Artnet output was the entire reason I bought resolume arena, and now I find that it's been removed. What the hell!

If I have to use Arena 5, then fine, but my serial number doesn't work with arena 5 and there's no way for me to purchase it.

This is unacceptable, especially considering that https://resolume.com/software/specs STILL lists "Output and Receive DMX via Artnet compatible devices." as a feature.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Read the manual before you start cursing on the forum, please.

https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx#sen ... led-lights

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

JoeMattie wrote:Artnet output was the entire reason I bought resolume arena, and now I find that it's been removed. What the hell!

If I have to use Arena 5, then fine, but my serial number doesn't work with arena 5 and there's no way for me to purchase it.

This is unacceptable, especially considering that https://resolume.com/software/specs STILL lists "Output and Receive DMX via Artnet compatible devices." as a feature.
JoeMattie Artnet has not been removed, a simple test on your end would show this. What has been removed (from what this thread is gathering) is the support for USB dongles to DMX boxes.

If your clients don't have a console that supports Artnet, I personally would suggest getting them up to date.
But a free solution would be to install Touch Designer:
https://www.derivative.ca/099/Downloads/
And do a very basic DMX In Chop to DMX Out Chop. Select your artnet localhost as your input source, and select your Enttec USB dongle as your output source, then just minimize the app. Easy Peazy.
In Resolume you'll select your artnet broadcast to localhost and then everything will be as it was.

I'm using the Enttec artnet in to dmx out box this week to build a festival test build ant it is working flawlessly, but no USB dongle. In case anyone needed to know if that box still worked.

***EDIT***
Here is a link to a project in TD that I built for you guys:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9h34uvesdws ... _pzVa?dl=0

Just change your incoming artnet subnet and universe, and your outgoing DMX subnet and universe.