Trackpad "tap to select" on timeline playhead causes playhead freeze | Resolume v6.0.1

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Trackpad "tap to select" on timeline playhead causes playhead freeze | Resolume v6.0.1

Post by subpixel »

I occasionally notice strange behaviour in programs using "tap to select" on my laptop's trackpad (as opposed to "button press to select" with a physical click). If I "tap to select" the playhead on the timeline in the clip transport section, the mouse jumps to the playhead position (as expected) but then behaves as though the left mouse button is held down (ie the playhead position is frozen). This state persists even if I activate other controls (by both tap and click methods). I can double-tap-drag-release to select and move the playhead (without it freezing). Clicking or tap-to-select on the playhead again unfreezes it. As does previewing or launching another clip.

This bug could be hard to squash if your touchpad driver behaves differently. I hazard a guess that you have a state change for the playhead due to a "mouse down" event for which there ends up being no "mouse up" event. Given that I can subsequently click on other controls, I'm guessing each control has it's own mouse state tracking. If that is the case, perhaps you can keep a list (of just one?..) control that has an active mouse state and reset it if some other control gets a new click. Maybe it's a "mouse click" vs "mouse down" vs "mouse dragged" scenario. I'll leave it up to you to do the head scratching! :P

ASUS R552JK
Windows 10 Pro
ASUS Smart Gesture is installed

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Trackpad "tap to select" on timeline playhead causes playhead freeze | Resolume v6.0.1

Post by Zoltán »

Sounds like you also have something like "tap to move" enabled.
I used to see that option on Synaptics touchpad drivers, it would allow the user to tap once on an icon and move it and tap again to release for example.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

subpixel

Re: Trackpad "tap to select" on timeline playhead causes playhead freeze | Resolume v6.0.1

Post by subpixel »

There is no such option on my system that I am aware of.

I can double tap and drag, but releasing my finger releases the drag.

I had another machine with double tap and drag, and after a(n adjustable) drag time you could release your finger with the drag still active, drag some more (releasing your finger however many times) and tap to drop. I liked that feature.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

It's one of the playhead's features that you can hold it in place with the mouse button held down.
If the touchpad driver doesn't send the mouseRelease signal then there is not much we can do about it.
Selections are done with a held mouse button, so that's what the driver tells Resolume, I would say both the driver and Resolume behaves the way they individually should.
I'd suggest turning this "tap to select" feature off.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

"Select" means "Click". Disabling it makes the touchpad frustratingly "unusable" (yes, you can still use it, but are forced to press firmly for the physical click, which is somewhat awkward and unpleasant).

I haven't done mouse input coding for a while, but I think it is possible to misinterpret a "click" as a "mouse down"; that isn't to say that a mouse down hasn't happened, but that it can and should instead be interpreted as a click and not to expect a "mouse up".

In all, I'm not too worried about this particular glitch. It may apply in other circumstances.

eg in Java...

MouseEvent

This low-level event is generated by a component object for:
  • Mouse Events
    • a mouse button is pressed
    • a mouse button is released
    • a mouse button is clicked (pressed and released)
    • the mouse cursor enters the unobscured part of component's geometry
    • the mouse cursor exits the unobscured part of component's geometry
  • Mouse Motion Events
    • the mouse is moved
    • the mouse is dragged
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/a ... Event.html

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

subpixel wrote:"Select" means "Click"
On my macbook on bootcamp I have both "tap to click" and "tap to drag" which I can use to tap to select, like select multiple items.
This naming schemes can get confusing fast. :) (and I'm not even on an english OS)

I see in Resolume what you meant now. I'll create a ticket.

ashleybutler
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ashleybutler »

You can check its setting and if you find uncheck, check it. You can found it usually in BIOS. It is causing to window 10 update version

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

Note: this problem has been fixed (or otherwise no longer occurs on my system).