Arena 6 - DMX Chart

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
coryfournier
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Arena 6 - DMX Chart

Post by coryfournier »

After a good bit of time researching, I might be missing something simple but just wanted to check.
Setup:
- Arena 6
- GrandMA2 OnPC / Command Wing

Before Arena 6 to control the software you had the option to Auto Map or Custom Map the DMX controls.
I am not seeing any modes or options in 6 to do an Auto Map. So I have no control from a clean start. I have control if I Custom Map DMX just fine. And I didn’t see any info for a DMX Chart. Does 6 not have an Auto Map this time?

With all the new features I see how that would make sense but didn’t know if there was a ‘pre built’ or ‘generic’ DMX Preset already built for the basic console control.

Great job with 6! A ton a great new features!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Arena 6 - DMX Chart

Post by Zoltán »

coryfournier wrote:Does 6 not have an Auto Map this time?
With all the new features I see how that would make sense but didn’t know if there was a ‘pre built’ or ‘generic’ DMX Preset already built for the basic console control.
There is no DMX auto map in Resolume 6, and also no pre built shortcuts presets.
I guess with the community creating their setups, there will be users who would like to share their shortcut and effect presets.
We could have some topics for those, if interest arises.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

I've actually been telling every LD that asked me to use the R5 MA profile and then map everything they need in resolume.

1. They learn the program and stop calling me for every minor question
2. If they don't need a feature they don't really need to be mapping it(less programming mistakes)

Certain versions of the MA profile didn't have correct default values. In particular there was like half a year where LDs would clear the R5 fixture from the programmer causing the X and Y to go to -16000 instead of 0. So all they saw was pure black.

Now with mapping files its quite easy to copy and paste your shortcuts between shows. No more remapping after you've done it once. LD's should see the work as an extension of their show file which they can carry with them. Where in R5 that wasn't really the case.

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

drazkers wrote: Certain versions of the MA profile didn't have correct default values. In particular there was like half a year where LDs would clear the R5 fixture from the programmer causing the X and Y to go to -16000 instead of 0. So all they saw was pure black.
That explains some situations... Thank you; nice to see it from your perspective ;).

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Daniel wrote:
drazkers wrote: Certain versions of the MA profile didn't have correct default values. In particular there was like half a year where LDs would clear the R5 fixture from the programmer causing the X and Y to go to -16000 instead of 0. So all they saw was pure black.
That explains some situations... Thank you; nice to see it from your perspective ;).

I had a few in house LD's experiencing the same issue. I'm not a lighting guy, buy they did some sort of programming in the MA that bypassed certain values when they would hit clear.
essentially, clear was zeroing out all the values on all the fixtures or something.
Even when I was working with Hippo's, I would remove all the dmx values that they LD wasn't modifying. No sense giving them access to stuff they could potentially break without even knowing they were changing.

I'm all about only having them manually map what they need and leave it at that

Xurion

Post by Xurion »

With the automap function gone Arena needs many more DMX channels since you cannot set a DMX value. So each clip needs a different DMX channel.

Or am I missing something?

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Xurion wrote:With the automap function gone Arena needs many more DMX channels since you cannot set a DMX value. So each clip needs a different DMX channel.

Or am I missing something?
So you can actually map a single channel to select up to column 255 for any layer. When you click dmx map you'll see a little sideways arrow show up for each layer and column. So you shouldn't need that many channels. But! On a side note resolume 6 now allows multiple universes of input. Unlike the single of R5.

Here is a blurb from the manual, which Joris answered with last week.
Tip! A super special secret group shortcut is hidden in front of the clip triggers. It's revealed when you enter MIDI, OSC or DMX shortcut mode. When you assign a shortcut to this, you can trigger all the clips in that layer with a single control. For instance, assigning a MIDI will let you trigger clip 1 through 128 by sending different values on that same CC. The same goes for clips 1 through 255 on a single DMX Channel, or clips 1 through infinity on the same OSC address.
If your still have trouble following, the link below has a photo. Which I can't post as I'm on mobile.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15332

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

So you can actually map a single channel to select up to column 255 for any layer.
...and don't forget you can do the same with column triggers.

Xurion

Post by Xurion »

That's a great solution! Thanks for helping out!
I still wish that there was a function for manually mapping DMX value's, wich could be handy for different buttons in Resolume.

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Xurion wrote:That's a great solution! Thanks for helping out!
I still wish that there was a function for manually mapping DMX value's, wich could be handy for different buttons in Resolume.
What do you mean by manually? You can right click any item and manually add a channel and lumiverse.

Or do you mean different buttons with a single channel?