Arena 6 - DMX Chart

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Xurion
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Arena 6 - DMX Chart

Post by Xurion »

drazkers wrote: What do you mean by manually? You can right click any item and manually add a channel and lumiverse.

Or do you mean different buttons with a single channel?
Different buttons with a single channel.

It would be quite handy to map some of the same features to one DMX channel. For example transport control of a layer:
Ch1 Value 1 thru 63: Play Forward
Ch1 Value 64 thru 126: Play Backward
Ch1 Value 126 thru 189: Pause
Ch1 Value 190 thru 255: Random Playback

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Xurion wrote:
drazkers wrote: What do you mean by manually? You can right click any item and manually add a channel and lumiverse.

Or do you mean different buttons with a single channel?
Different buttons with a single channel.

It would be quite handy to map some of the same features to one DMX channel. For example transport control of a layer:
Ch1 Value 1 thru 63: Play Forward
Ch1 Value 64 thru 126: Play Backward
Ch1 Value 126 thru 189: Pause
Ch1 Value 190 thru 255: Random Playback
What desk are you using where that work flow is handy?

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

I can see the thought there, in Chamsys (my lx desk of choice) I could then create a fixture with those parameters on a single channel.

Parameters such as opacity, I’d want a single channel dedicated to (ideally two channels for 16bit control). Same for rotation etc.

I guess features like play direction are a bit of a special case. Very comparable to the “control” channel a lot of moving lights have, where you’ll find “resets” and other non linear commands stacked up and ready to access by sending various dmx channels.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

drazkers wrote:What desk are you using where that work flow is handy?
I would hope a lot of desks, because that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx-sho ... cut-groups
When assigning a DMX channel to a Shortcut Group, Resolume will distribute the values over the group. So if the group has four options, like Clip Direction, value 1-63 will set the clip to play backward, 64-128 will be forward, 128-191 will be pause and 191-255 will be random.

Xurion
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Xurion »

Ok, classic RTFM moment here..

Sorry for all of that! Thanks for helping out!
I'm mostly using MA2. But this is actually very common on a lot of modern desks.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Joris wrote:
I would hope a lot of desks, because that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx-sho ... cut-groups
When assigning a DMX channel to a Shortcut Group, Resolume will distribute the values over the group. So if the group has four options, like Clip Direction, value 1-63 will set the clip to play backward, 64-128 will be forward, 128-191 will be pause and 191-255 will be random.
Oooooo, I didn't know about that either!

It just feels more natural for me to have a channel. But creating your own fixture is a good point and a smart way for sure. I was thinking as a straight creating cues.

I tour on a ma2 but have lua scripts that recreate my whole layout.

synapse_gh
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by synapse_gh »

So I'm writing a new MA2 showfile, and wanted to try a different implementation of Dashboard knobs.

I've got no problem getting DMX control of dashboard knobs by layer or by This Clip/Selected Clip, but I feel like I'm overlooking an obvious way to get the MA2 to let me identify which is the currently selected clip?

Is there a way to use DMX to specify which clip I want to play, but then also specify which other clip I want to currently be selected in the Preview Monitor?

The end goal is to be able to map DMX to dashboard knobs for "Selected Clip" instead of "This Layer" or "This Clip", but be able to use the MA2 to navigate what the Selected Clip is.

Does this make sense? Is it possible?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

synapse_gh wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 18:21 Is there a way to use DMX to specify which clip I want to play, but then also specify which other clip I want to currently be selected in the Preview Monitor?
You can map the clip name handle to DMX. But you'd have to do that for every clip separately with separate channels.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

A good workflow for this would be to trigger the clip in a layer that has its opacity turned down.

At that moment, you are sure that the clip is loaded in the Clip Properties panel, but is not showing on the output. Alternatively, if the clip is already triggered, you could also select the layer that has the clip in it. This will also load it in the Clip Properties panel.

Then you can adjust the dashboard properties as needed, and fade in the layer.

synapse_gh
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by synapse_gh »

Joris, I see what you're saying as a way of "pre-fade listening" to the clip before sending it live.

...what I'm hoping to do is a little different - I want to be able to map MA2 temp faders directly to dashboard knobs, so I can manipulate effects on images that are already running live.

For example, one of our tours has a song that's anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes long, depending how the band are feeling that night, so it's nice to be able to manipulate effects live.

If I map the dashboard knobs to individual clips, it limits the freedom of movement considerably across a 2-hour show.

To me, this gets really easy if there's simply a DMX command I can send that says "make layer 3 active".