Ways to export DXV3 + Alpha without Adobe Media Encoder or AE

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Felipe Barraza
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Ways to export DXV3 + Alpha without Adobe Media Encoder or AE

Post by Felipe Barraza »

Hello!

I'm trying to change my workflow from After Effects to Fusion 9 (tired of working without real 3D!), but I can't find a way to export directly from Fusion to DXV3. I've tried exporting a high-res file with Fusion and then converting to DXV3 with Streamclip, but the alpha channel doesn't work (even thou in "Options" I select "Normal (or High) Quality With Alpha", there's no transparency when I playback the video in Resolume).

The way I've been doing things is exporting directly from After Effects or trough Media Encoder for the alpha channel, but I don't want to renew my Adobe CC subscription, and therefore I need to find another way to export my DXV3 videos with an alpha channel.

If this topic was addressed before I'm sorry! I've been searching alternatives for hours without a solution.

Thanks! Cheers!

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Ways to export DXV3 + Alpha without Adobe Media Encoder or AE

Post by AdevProjects »

I had this same problem when testing Fusion 9. Fusion 8 works as expected with DXV3. I dont know a whole lot about Fusion but I assume if you wanted to use fusion 9 you could render in fusion 9 out to an image sequence etc and then load and save as DXV3 in Fusion 8.

Felipe Barraza
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Ways to export DXV3 + Alpha without Adobe Media Encoder or AE

Post by Felipe Barraza »

Wuoa that would be awesome if I could get it to work! :P

I downloaded Fusion 8.2, and tried to export to DXV3 directly, but couldn't see the codec in the Compression tab. The Output Format was Quicktime Movies, and I tried a bunch more and no one showed DXV3 available. I did however manage to export my source video as a PNG Sequence + Alpha, and I could loaded to Resolume with transparency (I'm in Avenue 6, not Arena), but on playback my FPS drop drastically to 15FPS.

In the other side I was able to load my source video to AE, export it as DXV3 + Alpha, and load it to Resolume with transparency, where it got a really smooth playback at 60FPS.

I really wish I could the same from Fusion! Even if it requieres third party software. I've been investigating and testing it and so far I really like it! nodes feel a lot more natural and quicker to work than layers, and in the other hand Alpha Channel provides a very good way of live compositing, that's why a really want to make it work!

Has the codec need to be installed in a different directory for Fusion 8 to find it? Thanks for the feedback! I feel the answer is getting closer! :D