Res 6.0.2 particle system and midi mapping

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Christoph
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Res 6.0.2 particle system and midi mapping

Post by Christoph »

hi,
i just installed the update to arena 6.0.2. there are a few issues i encountered and it would be interesting if others have the same problems...

the first problem i found was just a minor bug: on windows if you try to install the update within arena you have to quit arena, however you can't click the quit confirmation because the installer window is in top of it (and you can't move the window because there is a prompt saying it can't close arena). I know you could install with the manual download or disable the quit confirmation or get to the quit confirmation with 'alt+tab', still it is annoying so i thought i let you know for future updates.

the second bug - i haven't tried if it did work on the other arena 6 versions - is about the 'particle systems' effect. i can't get any output with the effect, as soon as i put it on a clip or layer or composition the output turns black. the strange thing is - in preview i can see the effect working but not in the output.

the third problem is about my midi mapping. just a few days ago i did a lot of midi mapping in 6.0.1.
today i tried to open the composition in 6.0.2 and all my mappings were gone. this is really annoying as i can't just go back to the old version like it was in older resolumes. i guess i would have to save my mappings as a preset before updating? anyone knows a way to get my mapping back?

greetings,

edit: i'm on a windows 10 laptop with nvidia 1070

Christoph

Re: Res 6.0.2 particle system and midi mapping

Post by Christoph »

me again ;)
found another thing that bothers me since 6.0.2:
when i want to midi-map a value (like strobe frequency) to a fader or encoder it works as expected. now i want to take advantage of this cool new envelope-feature and start activating the envelope. when i add points the midi controllers' input starts behaving really weird, jumping from one value to another and so on - however this did work great in 6.0.1

tried it on an akai mpd32 and an allen&heath xone:k2 on windows10

edit: found out it does work with absolute values

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

ChrisVids wrote: the first problem i found was just a minor bug: on windows if you try to install the update within arena you have to quit arena, however you can't click the quit confirmation because the installer window is in top of it (and you can't move the window because there is a prompt saying it can't close arena). I know you could install with the manual download or disable the quit confirmation or get to the quit confirmation with 'alt+tab', still it is annoying so i thought i let you know for future updates.
we addressed this with 6.0.2 update, from now, the next update should be be more fluent, ie. Resolume won't ask you for quit confirmation.
the second bug - i haven't tried if it did work on the other arena 6 versions - is about the 'particle systems' effect. i can't get any output with the effect, as soon as i put it on a clip or layer or composition the output turns black. the strange thing is - in preview i can see the effect working but not in the output.
This is interesting, could you share the composition with us?
Do you have the latest nvidia drivers?
the third problem is about my midi mapping. just a few days ago i did a lot of midi mapping in 6.0.1.
today i tried to open the composition in 6.0.2 and all my mappings were gone. this is really annoying as i can't just go back to the old version like it was in older resolumes. i guess i would have to save my mappings as a preset before updating? anyone knows a way to get my mapping back?
Did you create a new midi shortcut preset for your mapping or did you use the default?
ChrisVids wrote:when i want to midi-map a value (like strobe frequency) to a fader or encoder it works as expected. now i want to take advantage of this cool new envelope-feature and start activating the envelope. when i add points the midi controllers' input starts behaving really weird, jumping from one value to another and so on - however this did work great in 6.0.1
tried it on an akai mpd32 and an allen&heath xone:k2 on windows10
edit: found out it does work with absolute values
How exactly did you map these parameters exactly?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Hi Zoltán, thanks for your reply!

- particle systems
I really don't know what happened with this particle systems problem, two days ago it seemed impossible to get the effect working, today it works totally as expected. First I tried it in a completely new composition and it worked, then I opened the comp where it didn't work and it worked as well. So sorry about this but like that it wouldn't make sense to give you my comp as I can't reconstruct it myself.

- midi map presets
Before updating I didn't create a midi shortcut preset but used the default one, now I did the whole mapping from scratch and saved it as a preset (and even made a backup on another location).

- midi and envelope
Here are two screenshots which show how I mapped it:
midi1.jpg
This is the mapping which didn't work. The xone:k2 has 12 analogue encoders and 6 endless rotary encoders. For the endless encoders the only mapping option which works in resolume is 'relative', this is why I chose it. But like mentioned, as soon as I use it with an envelope it starts acting weird, jumping between values and getting stuck at some point.
midi2.jpg
This is the mapping when I use the analogue encoders, they can be used in 'absolute'-mode and with them it works as expected. For now I will use these encoders for mappings where I need the envelopes.

Btw - I did (as mentioned) update through the app and all there are still no presets on almost all of the effects.

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

This is the mapping which didn't work. The xone:k2 has 12 analogue encoders and 6 endless rotary encoders. For the endless encoders the only mapping option which works in resolume is 'relative', this is why I chose it. But like mentioned, as soon as I use it with an envelope it starts acting weird, jumping between values and getting stuck at some point.
I just had time to test this properly and indeed it is not working. I'll create a ticket for it and we will fix it.
Btw - I did (as mentioned) update through the app and all there are still no presets on almost all of the effects.
Go to C:/Program Files/Resolume Arena/default/presets/Video Effects
Copy the whole content
Paste this in
Documents/Resolume Arena 6/presets/Video Effects

You should have all the effects.