MIDI, Relative 63/65 is missing in R6

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Sjan Top
Is taking Resolume on a second date

MIDI, Relative 63/65 is missing in R6

Post by Sjan Top »

Last week i tried to setup my midi controller. But the mapping for my rotary is not working correctly.
In Resolume 5 i used Relative 63/65, in Resolume 6 i used Fake Relative and Absolute, but they don't work in the same way.
Absolute is only adding( moving to the right) and Fake Relative is adding and subtracting in a irrational manner, giving a jumping behaviour of the given parameter.

If anyone knows how to solve this, i like to hear it.
With out my midi controller working correctly, i can not use Resolume 6 for my shows.
#tweelicht_visuals

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: MIDI, Relative 63/65 is missing in R6

Post by Joris »

Relative 63/65 is now just known as Relative.

Fake Relative is a special mode that will let you use those weird endless rotaries that actually send absolute values as relative.

The different options for Midi CCs are explained in great detail here: https://resolume.com/support/en/midi-sh ... cc-options

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

Hey Joris,

That does not work in my case, I made a screen capture to illustrate this.
https://youtu.be/jN-V7vwd0hU
Relative 63/65 is working fine in Resolume 5
#tweelicht_visuals

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That Samson controller sends absolute values, right?

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

Hey Joris,

thats correct, but its not working.
I select Absolute 40sec in to the screen clip. but the result is a jumping parameter between 127, 1 65 63.
Relative 63/65 used to work in resolime 5
#tweelicht_visuals

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

Hey Sjan,

I've been looking into your issue and played around with the Conspiracy.

EDIT: Refrasing it; because it wasn't clear.

What does the Conspiracy do?
Conspiracy has rotating knobs. When you check the interface on the top right corner; you will see values appearing when you turn on it. These values are between 0 and 127. This tell us that it has a linear scale and therefor it should be used in combination with Absolute interpolation.
* We did find some strange issues with it; when turning fast with it; it seems to have some kind of acceleration build in it.

So what does relative do? Relative looks at a different kind of unlimited knob. A knob that only looks at two different values that either say go up or go down. In this case relative won't work with this knob. Even tho you can keep on turning it even if you exceed it's value. It will stay at 0 non the less.

What does fake relative do? Fake relative reads absolute values and converts them into the same behaviour as a relative knob. This will only work if the midi controller keeps on sending values. For example; if the APC knobs are turned down and reach 0; they will keep resending 0 if you try to keep on turning down. Resolume reads that and interprets as going down. Basically a bunch of calculations and "logic" we throw at it to understand it.

This doesn't work with the Conspiracy. When you reach 0 with the conspiracy and you keep on turning down, it will stay at 0 but it won't send any data packages. Ones it reaches 0; it waits until it can read 1 or a higher number again. Probably because how the Conspiracy is built with a little "onboard logic computer". They thought that keep sending 0 wasn't beneficial and made a system to clean up the "noise".

So the knobs of the Conspiracy will only work with Absolute interpolation and not with anything else.

Does this clear things up a bit?

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

You suggest that only Absolute will work.
But as seen in the screen capture i posted (from +/-40sec). The parameter start to jump to the absolute values that the midi controller outputs. Not some smooth motion
#tweelicht_visuals

Joris

Post by Joris »

I don't know what to tell you, man. When we run this Conspiracy in the office, it works completely smooth and as expected in Absolute mode. Which makes sense, because it's sending absolute values.

When I try to run it in Relative 63/65 in Res 5, it's unusable, but it also works as expected. The parameter value will go down when sending values <64, regardless which direction you're turning the knob. Once you reach >64 on the knob, the param value will start going up, regardless of which way you're turning it.

This is exactly how a real relative knob is supposed to work, but as mentioned, the Conspiracy knobs are not really relative. The Relative mode in Res 6 is exactly the same as Relative 63/65 in Res 5, btw.

I'm not doubting that you're seeing something different. But when we plug the Conspiracy, this is what we see and it matches what we expect to see.

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

Hey Joris,
That is a shame, then i don't know that to do.
i think i will search for a program that will translate the midi output from my Samsung mf8 in the hope that it will fix the problem.
#tweelicht_visuals

Joris

Post by Joris »

Wait, for some reason I was under the impression you are using a Samson Conspiracy. Which controller are you using exactly?