MIDI, Relative 63/65 is missing in R6

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Sjan Top
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: MIDI, Relative 63/65 is missing in R6

Post by Sjan Top »

hey Joris,

I don't know where the Samson Conspiracy came in to tis story but i'm using the Samsung Graphite MF8.
Do you have that controller to test?
#tweelicht_visuals

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

And the award for most obscure MIDI controller goes to Sjan Top :)

I've gone ahead and ordered one. I'll give it a spin once it gets here.

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

Yes!!
There nice and compact, travel ready. feel a bit cheap and there and they are cheap :P.
Did you find one for sale? there getting a bit old and i don't see them any more in webshops.
I have two of them, maybe i can lend you one or should i get new midi controllers?
#tweelicht_visuals

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We actually got the last one from a local store.

Man, this thing spits out the weirdest MIDI values I've seen in my life. Pitch Bend values from the faders. Which are 2" in length, so why you need 14 bit precision on that is beyond me. And the rotaries do some weird relative but not really but then again kind of yeah values on the knobs. Even though the knobs have a definite start and end.

To be honest, it feels like some factory in China programmed this thing based on the Google Translate version of the Wikipedia article on MIDI.

You're right though, you can get it to work in Arena 5. I'm not sure if that's just crazy luck because of a bug in 5, or something we need to fix. I'm not even sure if it's something we can fix.

Either way, it's not something that we're going to put a lot of priority on, because this is pretty far from regular MIDI behaviour. I really suggest to either find an editor for this Frankenstein monster so you can send regular Absolute values from the knobs, or get yourself a nice little Korg NanoKontrol instead. They have the same form factor and price point.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Looks like it sends 127 on the beginning of the knob, 63 on the end. In between those it sends continuously 1 when rotating clockwise and continuously 65 when rotating ccw. Wtf.

Joris

Post by Joris »

So I did a crazy thing and read the manual. Turns out you can press the Preset button and then F2 (or any F button aside from the default F1), and this monster will send regular absolute MIDI from both its knobs and sliders.

Also, apparently the weird relative but not really messages it sends by default are the Mackie control protocol. The more you know.

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

That is great news, i'm going to try that right a way!!
#tweelicht_visuals

Sjan Top

Post by Sjan Top »

Bedankt joris, werk nu zo als ik het gewent ben.
Nu kan ik eindelijk met r6 shows gaan draaien!

Fijn dat je er zo veel tijd in heb willen stoppen.
Had zelf ook de manual door gelezen maar blijkbaar hier overheen gekeken.
Thx!
#tweelicht_visuals