Arena 6.02 Where did the presets go?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
barthvis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Arena 6.02 Where did the presets go?

Post by barthvis »

Where did the presets in 6.02 go?
I do know how to select them (under the 'P' icon) but how do you see which one is selected like in Arena 5.
(see 'black hole' in the left picture)

I stand corrected when I'm missing something! :-)
Attachments
Arena 5 & 6 Presets.png

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Arena 6.02 Where did the presets go?

Post by Joris »

This gets philosophical real quick, but applying a preset is an event, not a state.

As far as Resolume is concerned, applying a preset is the same as setting all the effect parameters to a certain value really really quick. After this has happened, it's not tied to the preset anymore.

Should you now change the values of the preset in another place and save over it, the earlier instance will not update its values. When we continue to show the preset used to first set the values (like we did in 5), at that point, you would have two instances of the effect, both showing they had the preset applied, but with different values.

barthvis

Post by barthvis »

Hello Joris,

I do get the analogy but is there still any way to recall which preset was used/saved with a clip?

For instance: I save Clip A in layer 1, column 1 with effect x and preset y

How can I in Arena 6 see that preset y was saved with that clip in layer 1, column 1?

In the new situation I have to toggle and trigger every possible preset (a-z) to find out with one was used.

I do understand that the moment you change and save a preset it will not be updated in the other clips but I have a workflow in which I hardly ever overwrite a preset but save it under a different name with increasing version numbers. This way the continuity of preset settings is guaranteed.

But then again I also understand that the design choices you made probably make it impossible to rollback to the former Arena 5 situation and that we have to go with the (amazing) new flow. :-)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

So all you're missing is seeing the name of the preset in the green bar and have a check mark on the preset when you click on P the same way it worked in R5, right?

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

big YES Oaktown. Is not about being an event or the octopus metaphor. Is about display the last preset applied.
(Is there a real change from 5 to 6 or is it just how is displayed?)

In example, when you wanna look an fx-clip with stacked filters to know how was achieved that effect, you need to create a new preset from every filter or remember all the setted values for evey filter.
In 5 you just look what filter and preset was used to achieve that fx, don't matter if that was an eventual setup and there is modified values.

Or this case, I make several presets for a single fx that stacked result in the wanted fx. And that depends of the stack order (applying presets in different order makes another kind of output). I know can copy and paste those filters to another clip, but is easier just look what filter presets is stacked on certain clip and recreate it on another clip, even in a clear comp.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I'm assuming you're aware that in R6 you can copy a clip and paste the effects only onto another clip, right?

barthvis

Post by barthvis »

That is a workaround for this problem, but a poor one...
Last edited by barthvis on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I don't think of it as a workaround but it's a new feature that's worth noting.

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

I just love that feature , good job developers