Clips navigation with midi or keyboard

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJsynC
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Clips navigation with midi or keyboard

Post by VJsynC »

In Resolume 6 How to freely navigate in the clips on a deck (via midi) and just trigger the clip I want...??

In Midi mapping I can't specifically see in the graphic user interface how to assign a key that could be used as a "next clip" (like moving the cursor in the keyboard) but without lunching it immediately to the the layer!
I want to be able to first, select the clip (by navigating thought the clips thumbs) and then (once selected) trigger that clip to the layer!

In Res5 i'v used Bome's (to have colour feedback and other functionalities) to simulate that king of navigability (by simulating keyboard shortcuts) that res5 recognized as such, but now, with res6 and with the amazing support for my Akay APC40Mk2 I don't want to use Bome's anymore... how can I to this?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Clips navigation with midi or keyboard

Post by Joris »

This is currently not possible in Arena 6 :(

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

Joris wrote:This is currently not possible in Arena 6 :(
:o
Will it be anytime soon? :(
I mean... at least the keyboard shortcut keys like in res5... so i can work a diy fix for the midi interface...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This won't be back anytime soon.

barthvis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by barthvis »

Does that mean that it is not possible anymore to (key or midi) map the 'step forwards through preview' function in Arena 6?

We are using the amazing Griffin Technology Power Mates to quickly cycle through all the clip previews on the layer and activate them with just one press of the button.

https://support.griffintechnology.com/?s=powermate

To do this we had 'shift-cursor key left' and 'shift-cursor key right' mapped to step through the previews (without actually triggering them) in Arena 5.
This seems broken in Arena 6.

Is this true or is it still possible to map (key or midi) the 'step forwards through preview' function?
If not then we unfortunately have to go back to Arena 5 to maintain the workflow.

Joris

Post by Joris »

For this type of custom control, OSC is amazing

barthvis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by barthvis »

OSC definitely is amazing! :)
But: how do you map a function that has been removed from Arena? (correct me when I'm wrong)

Todays challenge for you Joris: map a key /midi control/ OSC to switch to the next or previous preview in a layer (without triggering the clip). Hint: that used to be shift + arrow keys. (in Arena 5)

You would so make my day if you could do that. :-)

Joris

Post by Joris »

Send

Code: Select all

/composition/layers/y/clips/x/select
where x is the clip you want to select, and y is the layer

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Barthavis, whenever you see a number in the OSC address you can replace it with an integer variable.

So for instance:
  • 1) /composition/layers/1/select can become /composition/layers/X/select where X is the layer number
    2) /composition/layers/1/clips/4/connect can become /composition/layers/X/clips/Y/connect where X is the layer number and Y the column number
    3) /composition/selectedlayer/clips/4/connect can become /composition/selectedlayer/clips/X/connect where X is the column number - This would work great in combination with /composition/layers/X/select
So since these take an integer 0 or 1 to be triggered, to trigger the event you would use
  • /composition/layers/X/clips/Y/connect 1
or
  • /composition/layers/X/clips/Y/connect 0

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

my question is simple... Why???

why.. shouldn't be an option to just navigate to a clip via midi or shortkut key like in res5?

why is this option only available via OSC??

with newer versions of a software is supposed to add and increase features and functionality, not remove them at alll!!!

why won't give the option in the already existing selection arrows in the user graphic interface to just select and not trigger the clip?

is it really so hard do bring back this functionality?