Res 6 Too many clicks to scroll to hidden decks

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Res 6 Too many clicks to scroll to hidden decks

Post by DHoude »

So I have about 20 decks on my master collection composition, each deck with different content themes. In Res 5 I could see them all in one line without scrolling and I liked that. No "off screen" decks, so I can quickly get to anything.

In 6, I am not super wild about the left and right arrows current behavior to scroll over to my hidden off screen decks. The names are not long, but some decks take 4 clicks to get past. So it literally takes 17 clicks to get to my last 4 hidden off screen decks.

I would love the option to either just shrink the tabs like in 5 so that all deck tabs are shown and I can just click on any one without scrolling (ideal). But at worst it might be nice to have 1 arrow click expose 1 hidden deck. Then it would only be 4 clicks to get to the last deck. Currently it is just way more of a pain than it needs to be.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Res 6 Too many clicks to scroll to hidden decks

Post by Arvol »

I'm torn on this myself.
I have around 40-60 decks in my comp. (yeah, yeah, I know...)
I like being able to see more than 2 letters on the Deck selection tab, But I also hate scrolling.

Maybe having a toggle option in the preferences could be cool, so the app is flexible for everyone's different needs?

I trick I found, is putting your mouse over the decks and using the mouse wheel to quickly scroll (and by quickly, I mean 15-20 at a time).

If we're handing out options here, I personally would like the option to have the left and right arrow scroll the next segments of decks into view, Example:

Only showing 10-15 decks at a time, with a healthy name length visible on them, then click on the right arrow which now scrolls decks 11-20 (or 16-30) into view.

Honestly with a mouse wheel, I can navigate it pretty quickly and happily now as it is, but I know it's "different strokes for different folks" ;)

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Yeah, probably 1 click for the next 15 decks would be fine. Or maybe multiple rows of deck tabs would be great! I am on a laptop so no mouse wheel. Honestly Resolume 6 is so much better in every way. I am hard pressed for why this was messed with. Anything would be better for laptop users. 17 clicks to get to 4 decks?! I have tried the click and swipe too. Just too much room for error when you have to click on a tab to drag it.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

DHoude wrote:Yeah, probably 1 click for the next 15 decks would be fine. Or maybe multiple rows of deck tabs would be great! I am on a laptop so no mouse wheel. Honestly Resolume 6 is so much better in every way. I am hard pressed for why this was messed with. Anything would be better for laptop users. 17 clicks to get to 4 decks?! I have tried the click and swipe too. Just too much room for error when you have to click on a tab to drag it.
OOOOO!!!! I love the 2 rows idea! LOVE IT!

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

It would probably be ideal, but you might still have to scroll with that many decks.

Ant
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Ant »

Hi all, replying to this old post....
is the issue re reaching the far decks been resolved? I can't see any option to quickly reach the farest decks. pretty annoying ...even a scroll bar like for the layers to reach the farest clips would work...
Any good?

all the best...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

viewtopic.php?t=18358&p=74489

ticket #12401

If you save your composition, double clicking on a deck in the Compositions Panel should load and focus the decks more quickly.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Ant
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Ant »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 14:20 viewtopic.php?t=18358&p=74489

ticket #12401

If you save your composition, double clicking on a deck in the Compositions Panel should load and focus the decks more quickly.
Hi Zoltan, thanks for this...appreciate...BUT we can only see a decks list name...not really the case for VJing when we work with visual memory ...and to catch a clip needed at the moment/ instinctively to go with the music or that particular mix a scroll bar should be the way to go...Don't you think so? exactly as per the scroll bar on the layers to reach the farest clip on that particular deck. Imagine if we had to remember the names of the clips with no thumbnails... Hope it make sense...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I personally don't think a scrollbar is the solution for this.
I think the layer scroll buttons should be more responsive, and when you hold them the should scroll the deck list speeding up, so you don't need to click much.

We have a ticket to address this, so it's on our radar.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I now have my composition and decks view-able in the same windows as my sources and FX on the right side of the screen. this is a MUCH more efficient way of finding my decks. Only thing to note: If you don't save changes to those decks and load them, it will overwrite your changes with the saved decks parameters.