"Snow" plugin built into Res 6

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

"Snow" plugin built into Res 6

Post by DHoude »

I think there might be an issue with the Snow plugin. When I add it, I can't see anything below it. Like the "Black Background" check box is on all the time. But it isn't checked. I just see a black background all the time and some video color below it in a couple of the snow flakes.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: "Snow" plugin built into Res 6

Post by Arvol »

Just used it today for a music video shoot. works fine for me. (windows, latest r6 build) I had the snowflakes act as a twinkle star effect for led pixel tape.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Background video with Snow Bypassed
Background video.JPG
Snow with no Alpha and Black Background unchecked
Snow no Alpha.JPG

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Can you drag the snow fx into a blank spot in the clip section of the app, one layer above what you would like played (or on the to layer) seems to work that way.
I just dropped the fx into a blank clip when i play it, never tried adding to an effect. i see your problem, there's no alpha on the effect, just a black bg.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is not so much a problem with the Snow plugin, as with the way blend modes work for effects that create alpha. On 6, we've taken a babystep towards addressing it, but it's going to need a lot more work. I've always considered the Black BG a hacky bandaid fix for this deeper lying problem.

If you want to see both the result of an effect combined with the original input texture, you can adjust the opacity and/or blend mode of the effect.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks for the heads up, I think I understand. I will also try putting the effect in an Empty clip slot above the clip and see how that works as well as the opacity trick.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Good call Arvol on putting that snow effect on a new layer. Not ideal but it is workable. I usually like to keep clips or sources on decks.

Effects that are not clip specific, I keep on Layers and the Composition. Just cleaner and easier to manage when switching decks. You still have control at the bottom.

All ears on a good Snow plugin. I loved the Snowy one where the snow builds up. All in due time I am sure.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

DHoude wrote:Good call Arvol on putting that snow effect on a new layer. Not ideal but it is workable. I usually like to keep clips or sources on decks.

Effects that are not clip specific, I keep on Layers and the Composition. Just cleaner and easier to manage when switching decks. You still have control at the bottom.

All ears on a good Snow plugin. I loved the Snowy one where the snow builds up. All in due time I am sure.

As Joris said, adding the FX onto a clip, then turning the FX opacity down to around 90% works very good as well.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I found it darkened my clip more than I would like. But yes that did work too. Just not as well as a new layer.