Glitch at start playback clip

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Glitch at start playback clip

Post by Grimm90 »

your clips are not looping right ? It's kinda logic your issue with the transition slider in use , as the transition starts at the end of the current clip , it will restart this first clip while starting the transition = giving you the flash of clip 1 while actually it's going into clip 2.

Been asking for a while now to have an "Pre / post" clip end option for transitions , so if you would set a 5 sec transition on a 10sec clip , the transition would start at 5sec and be completed by the end of clip 1 , but it's not there (yet?)

massta
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by massta »

I set the clicks up to pause at end of playing.

It doesn't always do the glitch. Seems to happen after it plays for a minute. I'll try to capture it to share here.

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

We have always noted this flash-frame, "glitch" problem at start of playback, and just thought it was a quirk expected in Resolume Arena, as it used its resources to 'get up to speed' in rolling clips in perfect sync, simultaneously – what Resolume calls "Layers." Since no one else said anything here we just learned to live with it during out test trials.

We've worked around it by inserting 1 second of BLACK/SILENCE on anything we sent to Resolume. When rolling the 'Column,' we have the audio mixer muted and video switcher on BLACK, so the classroom sees and suspects nothing. A second later, we fade up the VIDEO/AUDIO. When we move to the next set of clips in another column, we repeat this process.

It would be nice for this 'BUG' to be squashed. The technical workflow is below to help.

Thank you.

We have used Resolume exclusively to very quickly cue and play multiple camera angles of movie scenes (which ALL have audio), and also to cue alternate scenes – so we can do 5~8 angles or takes playing at the same time to different projectors and even combined on one screen, so we have always used it with H.264 Quicktime .mov cliips compressed from Adobe Media Encoder.

The original files come from Avid Media Composer/Symphony, and are either in AVCIntra 100 (10-bit, 4:2:2 color sample, 100Mbps), Avid DNxHD 220x (10-bit, 4:2:2 color sample, 220 Mbs) or even 1:1, 100% Uncompressed 1080p (10-bit, 4:2:2 color sample, up to 3.0 Gbps).

Audio is usually 48KHz, @ 16 or 24-bit, 8-channel for HD 1080/720p; and 16~20-bit, 4-channel for SD: Standard Definition 720x486 (SMPTE "D1"/Digital Betacam/D5) or 720x480 (DV/DVD). For Widescreen SD converted from HD, we are in ED: Extended or Enhanced Definition: 864x486, which is a DVD spec that makes TV sets automatically display anamorphic 4:3 in widescreen 16:9.

We have tried taking the 1:1 Uncompressed HD, DNxHD 220x, or AVCIntra 100 files and compressing them using Resolume's own codec, but have had issues (and it is slower to bake clips than Media Encoder), so I just place all the very quick exports from Avid Media Composer/Symphony into Adobe Media Encoder and let them bake H.264 (8-bit, 4:2:0 color, avg 35~50 Mbps) at about 85% picture quality. We then send these .mov files to Resolume Arena.

Reach out to me if I can be of any assistance to help, as always. Thank you!

Grimm90 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 16:37 When i start a clip which has an audio layer , it plays 5 frames and then restarts from frame 0 to fully play out.
If i strip the audio layer , the clip just starts without this 'stutter' . Happens in every clip , old comp , new comp , whatever layer.
I never had this issue before ?
Updated to latest Nvidia drivers & Resolume Arena 6 version , running on win7 x64 from m2 ssd.
What could it be ..

massta

Post by massta »

Thanks for your input and rendering settings. Yes, I've requested the long fade to black at the end of clips. It is probably the only solution. I've tried adding empty cells between clips but don't think its helping.

Another issue, columns do get out of sync over time and I find myself needing to trigger the first column ever so often.

I'm going to be using Resolume for another permanent installation but really wish these two issues were remedied.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

To the flash frame, we're working on some cases it can happen, try adding a 0.1 sec transition to the layer meanwhile https://resolume.com/support/en/layers#layer-transition
massta wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 14:11 Another issue, columns do get out of sync over time and I find myself needing to trigger the first column ever so often.
Columns have no timeline, so I'd guess what you try to do is playing one or more clips in layers, and have them set to auto pilot.
Clip timelines are independent, anything goes wrong with a file playback, it will get out of sync from the others.
What you could try would be setting the clips to BPM sync, to have them running to the same clock. SMPTE would be another great way to sync clips.
Or try using an external column tigger source, like this one.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

You are very welcome, Massta.

When you say that clips go out of sync over time, I am curious:
- How much time? After 1 hour? 2 hours? Can you do a test and report back? Do you have the computer doing any other tasks that could be taxing the CPU/graphics? Are sources coming from the same BOOT drive? Is the external drive(s) – if used – a RAID of minimum 2-bay drives, or a single-platter/single-drive?

- Because I am rolling movie clips from multiple camera angles - at times for the entire movie (90min~140min, supplied by the movie studio and the actual film's editor), I can see if anything slips by even 1 single frame. Amazingly, without feeding Resolume Arena SMPTE timecode as a reference, everything is in lock and perfect (what we in Film/TV legacy call "Frame Accurate," which means it NEVER slips. That is a credit to Resolume's programmers! I have left a 90min movie with 4 camera angles on LOOP playback and walked away overnight, and came back the next morning 7 hours later and Resolume had not slipped 1 frame.

I bring this up because in my case, I don't touch Arena once I hit >Play. And all my clips are the same length. In your case, for DJ/VJ work, clips could all be different lengths (RT/TRT: Run Time, Total Running Time) and further, different frame rates, resolution, aspect ratios, which Resolume will 'conform' to whatever your OUTPUT standard is. And that could make it seem like things drift out of "Frame Accurate" sync.

Finally, Sir Zoltan has an amazing sidecar utility called "CLICKABLE TIMELINE" –see his other response here on this very page in response to you to find his web link). This has worked for us when a visiting producer, director or film teacher yells out to me, "Stop right there and show that scene again!" – I use this utility to click on ONE timeline in a side-window, and all Resolume Layers sync to that, so I am not trying to manually type-in long digits on each layer's TRANSPORT and clicking PLAY again. Using Zoltan's utility, ONE timeline is a "Master Control" of all CLIP LAYERS in a Column – and it works flawlessly (BRAVO, Zoltan! :ugeek: )

- You may want to search my other, detailed explanation here in Forums of the difference between DROP-FRAME TIME CODE (DF or DFTC, which matches "Real" CLOCK TIME); and NDF (Non-DropFrame), which is 3.6 seconds longer per hour. This is mainly a US/Canada/Mexico and Japan/Asia issue, because DFTC had to be invented in the 1950s/60s by EECO for the TV Broadcasting and first videotape editing computers to make time code match the clock we time to.

If you are generating your own clips to send to Resolume, it will help if you are consistent and ensure all your timecode is IDENTICAL in Frame Rate and Timecode type, if you need to troubleshoot sync drift. Editing software allows you to freely mix NDF and DF and frame rates, obviously – BUT YOUR FINAL, SEQUENCE TIMELINE's timecode must be just ONE type/frame rate. In our case, even if we get NDF, we convert ALL video clips sent to Resolume to DF: Drop Frame, 29.97fps, so we match real clock time as a reference. In DF, the frame numbers :00 and :01 do not exist every minute, except at the top of every minute where it does appear. This does not mean your video has frames literally "dropped" – it just means we don't assign the frame numbers :00 and :01 for those 2 frames, it jumps from frame HH:MM:SS;29 to HH:MM:SS;02 – the "labeling" of the frame is affected (H: hours M:Minutes S:Seconds). Editing software allows mixed time code types by doing the calculation between DF/NDF and frame rates from different countries by doing the math for you automatically.

massta wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 14:11 Thanks for your input and rendering settings. Yes, I've requested the long fade to black at the end of clips. It is probably the only solution. I've tried adding empty cells between clips but don't think its helping.

Another issue, columns do get out of sync over time and I find myself needing to trigger the first column ever so often.

I'm going to be using Resolume for another permanent installation but really wish these two issues were remedied.