Adobe 2018 April kills DXV

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Adobe 2018 April kills DXV

Post by Joris »

From a technical standpoint, does DNxHD, ProRes, Cineform or another intermediary codec stand out as ideal for the step between AE/AME and mpeg (or whatever is best for batch?
Technically, there is no particular codec that's better or worse. For our footage shop, we store everything in Prores 4444 with premult alpha, or Prores 422 when the content doesn't have alpha. We then batch out to DXV and h264 via Compressor.

On PC, I'd probably go with PNG sequences via AME.

Vjcheshire
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Vjcheshire »

You guys are so on top of it. Can't wait to see the new Adobe exporter and Alley with batch converting. Its like waiting for Christmas presents all over again. Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Christoph

Post by Christoph »

thanks joris for the update, so i'll stick to the older versions of adobe until things change.

any ideas if there will be a future possibility to work with existing dxv-files within premiere and ae? it sounds to me like we're getting a possibility to export files in a dxv-container and maybe work with those files also within adobe but adobe doesn't support dxv in quicktime-container? sometimes you just need to make a quick edit and you have only dxv-files. if the dxv-container will be supported it sounds like i'll batch-convert my entire library to be futureproof. i hope alley or someone else does this without any quality losses as it is only repacking with the same codec, or maybe upgrading the older dxv2-files to dxv3.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Apparently, there is an import SDK as well, but we haven't researched it enough to reliably say if that is an option or not.

jjames
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by jjames »

Wow, the timing of this is very unfortunate.

A five year in the making artwork about to be presented. Frantically sending AE files with alpha back and forth to the editor (in another city) who uses Premiere, and then back to the presentation computer that uses Resolume. I just built a dedicated playback machine, and a new coffee lake editing machine. So I can't roll back versions of AE, as it is a clean install finished last night.

Three weeks ago I had convinced everyone to use DXV with Alpha. The suggested fix from Resolume is to use MPEG Stream Clip - which will make DXV with no Alpha. Urm? Is this artwork doomed then?

I guess I can use PNG sequences to send to the editor. The final project doesn't need the alpha when it is presented. It is just going to be a big embarrassment to have to tell everyone that even though we are close to the deadline we each have to separately re-render source files.

One of those days where I wish I was paid by the hour rather than a fee.

To think; I tried to install the DXV codec about six times today in desperation to export today's work.

I really hope the export plug-in is finished today.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Yikes. Sounds like Murphy ran right up and smacked you in the face.

I'm afraid that if you have a time critical project, you will need to find a workaround for the time being.

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

Dear DreamTeam,
Thank you! I am waiting patiently for your update.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Maybe I am just more comfortable with taking big risks, but I see no reason why anyone can't use Quicktime to re-encode stuff in the short term. I know there is some "massive security hole" where if you click on a link that opens Quicktime, you could be at risk. But if you avoid doing that and only use it for encoding even if you reserve these tasks for another PC. It works fine for me on PC. Not batch encoding, but it does work in a pinch.

If only somebody saw this sooner and made a post about it. viewtopic.php?t=15103

Still finding my way into the VJ world so I am not doing critical show performances, but if anyone is in need I am more than happy to offer my services. I can even offer audio remastering and audio repair services.

jjames
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by jjames »

Any word on the export plugin?

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

We're working on it.
AE-DXV.png