QLab --> Resolume via OSC: Dropped Cues?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: QLab --> Resolume via OSC: Dropped Cues?

Post by Oaktown »

I'm using the same showcontrol workflow like you: Qlab OSC over a wired network to a Mediaserver with Resolume. I havn't ever experienced a packet loss over a wired network but I do have over wireless connection (even 5ghz).
Same here, I've used Qlab OSC on many shows and never had a missed cue.
But anyway: let's say we're triggering a column, Resolume will play the first frame of the movie twice I guess. That might be acceptable, right?
I can't personally think of a case where triggering the same column twice in a row would be acceptable!

--

David, I understand you're using a wired network for your setups but are you turning off the wireless adapter on your mac?

Also, I never trust network architecture in any theatre and always bring my own equipment. That way 1) I know exactly what I'm dealing with and 2) I can easily troubleshoot. As a note, for runs over 100ft I use CAT6a solid core copper ethernet cables instead of stranded.

Have you ever tried Zoltàn's Linear OSC Controller? I think for what you do, it's probably better suited than Qlab. It's a very fluid process because it uses the same XML file so you can make changes in either Resolume or Linear OSC Controller. It also gives you tons of added discrete control such as changing the layer transition times between column triggers!

daan.hzndnk
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by daan.hzndnk »

But anyway: let's say we're triggering a column, Resolume will play the first frame of the movie twice I guess. That might be acceptable, right?
I can't personally think of a case where triggering the same column twice in a row would be acceptable!
Let me explain this one. We're talking about the first frame of a video showing twice. If you use a layer transition it wouldn't be noticable because the fade will just start over. I just did a test with a flashy video (without layer transition) and for me personal it's hardly noticable. However, from a programmers point of view it's just not so neat. :| But if this "guarantees" that the trigger will take place even over a Wifi connection, it's a solution to me. One drawback is that when I have to sync audio played by Qlab, I need to give all Qlab cues a 0.01 sec delay. This way things might get messy.

I'm going to check out Zoltans programmer right now! ;)

Foggy_Lens
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Foggy_Lens »

Wow, a lot of great ideas here. Frédéric, my concern is that I've encountered this problem even on an adhoc network with a 10' ethernet direct connection. Wireless was definitely disconnected.

Anyway, I'll look into both Zoltán's program as well as daan.hzndnk's workaround. I could definitely see that working with most shows; sneaking a few milliseconds fade isn't a dealbreaker for most of my projects...

Thank you to everyone for all this advice!
David Murakami
http://www.davidmurakami.com
Projection Designer, Film Director, & Adjunct Faculty at UC Irvine