Nvidia settings/FPS

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
media resole
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Nvidia settings/FPS

Post by media resole »

After putting R6 through its paces at frame rates up to 60 fps triggering A/V clips, I thought that I would install a 3rd party plugin for an echo delay. This threw R6 out of wack and proceeded to freeze. I then erased the plug in and eventually re installed the nvidia drivers to the latest build to get the program to run again.

Looking back, I now realize I had 1 output (60hz monitor), which makes you force quit, but the force quit dialogue is on the monitor that I didn't see, making me believe it crashed and refused to open back up (because it was stuck on the dialogue). So it seems I could have avoided this mess, but you know, hindsight.

Upon duplicating my Nvidia settings to get 60 fps w/one output (pre freeze), my A/V will now go out of sync, sometimes jumping back to the start of the clip and just generally glitchy (not in a good way). I went into nvidia settings and turned on vsync and now my max FPS is 15-30 fps with my A/V in sync and no noticeable problems.

Is there a way to get my FPS back to 60, as I fear that I will run into problems down the road as I add layers and effects?

Thank you,
Jerry

Computer Specs:

MSI
Intel I7 7700HQ CpU @2.8 GHz
16Gb RAM
64 bit
Windows 10 Home

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Nvidia settings/FPS

Post by Arvol »

What happens when you turn v-sync off and then hardcode your composition to 60fps in your comp settings? do you get consistent 60fps without tearing?

media resole

Post by media resole »

I just tried Arvol's config. suggestion. With v sync turned off, I get 60 fps, but w/tearing. Turned off, I get a consistent 15-30 fps w/out tearing.

Thank you for the reply.

Jerry,

Computer Specs:

MSI
16Gb RAM
64 bit
Windows 10 Home

media resole

Post by media resole »

Also, I've taken note of the fact, that when I quit Resolume w/1 output connected, it seems to quit. Only the output remains and when I select it, a dialogue appears so that I can force quit the whole program.

I believe I read a thread where Joris says there will be a fix for this in the next update. Is this the problem he was referring to?

Thanks,
Jerry

Computer Specs:

MSI
16Gb RAM
64 bit
Windows 10 Home

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

To quote a very popular barista around here:
Optimus, vsync and performance seems to be a topic that continues to be problematic for a lot of people (including us, I should add!). So I went and got myself a laptop with Optimus and a Nvidia GTX 1070 for testing. Trying out different settings, I came up with some interesting results.

These tests are all done on a Win 10 laptop, using the recommended updates for Windows (Fall Creator) and Nvidia (driver 390.77). 3 connected displays running at 1920x1200 each. The vsync is controlled by the 'Vertical sync' option in Nvidia Control Panel, set for Arena.exe. All other settings and Global Settings are left at default. Optimus is controlled by enabling or disabling it in BIOS. I tested for tearing and judder with a horizontally scrolling Lines source in a 5760x1200 comp. The Lines source was colored pink because I'm a real man.

Optimus enabled, vsync set to 'Use 3d application settings': 20 fps, no tearing
Optimus enabled, vsync set to 'On', 15 fps, no tearing
Optimus enabled, vsync set to 'Off', 140 fps, with considerable tearing and extreme judder.
Optimus *disabled*, vsync set to 'Use 3d application settings': 60 fps, no tearing

So it looks like having both Optimus and vsync enabled somehow reduces the framerate with each connected monitor. Disabling Optimus lets Nvidia do its thing and everything is as expected.

Now here's the interesting one:
Optimus *enabled*, vsync set to 'Off', Composition Framerate in Resolume set to 60. Result: 60 fps, no tearing.

This was a surprise to me. Apparently, our new framerate cap is tight enough to force correct monitor refresh updates, even when vsync is disabled and Optimus is running.

Now if you're using the laptop strictly for shows, I'd probably turn off Optimus completely. Saving the battery is pretty pointless then anyway. But if you want to save battery life, going into BIOS sounds really scary, or can't turn off Optimus in BIOS at all (which apparently is a thing on some laptops), turning off vsync and letting Resolume handle it, seems to be a very viable option.

Note that this is the result of a single morning of testing, not an endorsement of anything or an end-all advice on how to do things, valid forever. Graphic drivers are a nightmare to work with, and your mileage may vary considerably.

What driver version are you running and at what resolution are you pushing?
Also, what GPU do you have?

I have v-sync off and my comp set to 60fps and haven't had any tearing issues on my GTX1060's

media resole

Post by media resole »

Resolution 1920x1080
Driver 391.35
Ge Force GTX 1060

media resole

Post by media resole »

I rolled back my Nvidia drivers to the version Joris listed above. I am seemingly unable to disable Optimus in BIOS. When I turn vsync on, I get 20- 30 fps w/no tearing or sync problems in my A/V. When I turn off vsync, I get 60 fps w/ tearing and sync problems.

Computer Specs:

MSI
GTX 1060
16Gb RAM
64 bit
Windows 10 Home

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

The nvidia drivers have a power management setting which can affect performance too.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... erformance
Make sure you set this to Maximum performance for Resolume.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

media resole

Post by media resole »

Thanks everybody,

I will be running some more tests today using everyones tips and suggestions.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Just to confirm, you have your Resolume composition FPS settings set to 60, and not Auto. Right?