Laptop using integrated GPU instead of discrete

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
PeterT
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Laptop using integrated GPU instead of discrete

Post by PeterT »

Hello everyone,

I have an Asus laptop which has a Nvidia GTX 950M and also integrated graphics. My problem is, that internally the the hdmi and vga output on the laptop are connected to the iGPU. (like when somebody plug their monitors into the motherboard on a desktop pc) And the laptop's screen is the only thing connected to the Nvidia GPU. It's logical if somebody want to use the laptop for gaming, but i only use it for ledwall applications. Is it hurts the performance of resolume? Or even the Nvidia GPU is used at all, or it's using the Intel gpu? I set every nvidia control panel settings to use th discrete gpu. Sorry for my not perfect english, hope you understand.

Thanks, Peter from Hungary

visions
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Laptop using integrated GPU instead of discrete

Post by visions »

I have exacly that problem with two similar laptops (Nvidia Optimus). Resolume output uses 100% of Intel gpu, also using Nvidia as render card, and its a bottleneck with that, causing performance problems. I am not into Resolume architecture so I cannot tell you if there could be a workaround fot this, but in fact other 3d programs uses intensivelly nvidia gpu for rendering without major problems with optimus architecture. It is a problem since laptop vendors are adopting Optimus massively.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You can check which GPU Resolume actually uses to render by enabling Show display info in the output menu.
This will show something like this:
Képernyőfotó 2018-06-06 - 10.50.38.png
The renderer is what Resolume uses to render and the GFX card is the one that Resolume is connected to.
Ideally you'd like these to be the same to get the maximum performance, however this is often not possible with specific laptops. In the cases where the renderer is different than the connection GPU, you'll see some performance hit, as the display texture has to be copied over to the other card.
That's not something that can be worked around unfortunately.

With Nvidia Optimus laptops you can also have Resolume render on the nvidia card, but the same will apply.

If you want to get the maximum possible performance from a laptop, you need to get one which doesn't have an integrated GPU, or where you can disable Optimus.

As long as you are over 30 fps on the output, or you see issues like this, I wouldn't worry much about this.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

PeterT
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by PeterT »

Thanks for the answer Zoltán, i will check the display info data. I haven't experienced problems so far :geek: (using it since December).
Péter