Column Switch - Stuttering

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
nightjar84
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Column Switch - Stuttering

Post by nightjar84 »

Hi there,

I have a video live performance this Saturday, the first with arena. One thing that is a big problem, is that Arena stutters sometimes when you switch columns - since it is a very calm piece that is very disturbing. It mostly happens, when another column had been playing for a while.

Any way to fix this? If not - this will be my first an last project on Arena.

thanks for the help.

Cheers

PS: it's not the lack of power for sure; i have a GTX 1080 and the DVX files are in Full HD - no effects applied

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Column Switch - Stuttering

Post by Arvol »

What is your hardware build and what os version are you running?
Are your drivers up to date?

How many clips are being triggered and at what resolution?

Does this happen when you replace the clips with sources, such as lines or linescape?

Have you configured your Nvidia control panel for resolume use in the 3d applications?

They are a ton of a variables here.
Trying to see where you're at ;)

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Well i tried it both on Mac OS High Sierra (MB Pro 2017, 4 GB VRAM) and Windows 10 (i7 4930k, GTX 1080)...both had the issued which doesn't seem to relate to too less power.

All Clips are in Full HD (though Sliced up over advanced output). Output is a single 1080p beamer or disiplay.

The media is save on a SSD (getting around 450 MB/s).

No I haven't configured Nvidia, how do I do that? Since it also does it on Mac Os with an AMD card...that shouldn't be the problem though.

What happens:
- when I switch to a track, that contains multiple sliced up clips, the clip currently playing stutters while switching
- singel tracks are not a probkem
- just tried it with lines: when switching to a Column with multiple layers, the currently playing clip (not the lines!) stutters
- it is much stronger when the current column/clip had been playing for a while than when switching back and forth rather quickly...almost seems like Resolume tries to sleep and the wakes up again

I can't imagin being the only one with that issue (my friend has it as well on his MB Pro 2015, 2 GB VRAM, El capitan)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Try changing the Composition Beat Snap to 0 to see if that behavior goes away.
No I haven't configured Nvidia, how do I do that? Since it also does it on Mac Os with an AMD card...that shouldn't be the problem though.
On your mac you could try using gfxCardStatus.

On your PC, just right click on the desktop, select nVidia Control Panel, and adjust your 3d settings to have arena (total war) set to the nvidia card?

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Setting Beat Snap to "None" didn't change anything. I also tried raising the BPM - didn't change anything.

Also: I have no audio ebedded in the video, so that shoudln't cause the problem.

I have I Stat...the AMD PRO graphic cards is automatically turned on when Arena is started.

What I figured on my Macbook: the FPS go down to 25fps and then slowly rise up again (but that isn't the case on Windows). The GPU is on both devices (especially on the GTX 1080) no exhausted, so i can't believe, that the power is the issue here...

I also tried putting the footage on my internal hard disk which has a troughput of over 2 GB/s...so thats not the issue either...

I will upload a video later showing the stuttering...can't believe though it's only me having this issue...

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hi there,
first thing I want to ask. The fps of your clips do match your output Hz exactly or at least divided by 2?
This is just to reduce clip stuttering in general.

25fps clips + 50 Hz output
30fps clips + 60 Hz output
50 fps clips + 50 Hz output
60 fps clips + 60 Hz output

Did you try locking your composition to your chosen framerate?
Unbenadnnt.PNG
Unbenadnnt.PNG (9.67 KiB) Viewed 10172 times

The other trick you can try is to set the clip start offset in the general preferences to 9
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (10.01 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
Even if you don't trigger the clips with any midi or osc device it makes a difference in how clean a clip is triggered from the beginning. + do all your testing from you internal SSD

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Yes, Hz is correct.

Tried it again on windows: Here it only happens after the column had been playing for a while like 30 / 40 seconds....if I switch more quickly, it doesn't stutter...I'm pretty confident this is a bug!

Here a sample clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcy7op6da9vov ... g.mov?dl=0 (stutter @ second 5)

"On your PC, just right click on the desktop, select nVidia Control Panel, and adjust your 3d settings to have arena (total war) set to the nvidia card?"

==> there are many settings that can be adjustet in the 3D menu; what excatly do I have to change?

MS offset didn't do anything!

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

Are you using the DXV codec?
What is the resolution of the composition?
How many clips are in the column you're triggering?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Ah I see....made some tests here...
I can only recreate these freezes if I playback the footage of an external slow harddrive.

Can you make anyhow sure that there is nothing interfering your internal SSD drive.... things like updates, backups, tuneup tools,....ect.

best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

cosmowe wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 14:55 Ca you make anyhow sure that there is nothing interfering your internal SSD drive.... things like updates, backups, tuneup tools,....ect.
Thanks for your efforts. Much appreciated.

The xternal drive was a regular SSD, 450 MB should be way enough...

What exactly do I have to deactivate and how can I "make sure nothing is interferring with the SSD"...that overreaches my technical knowledge.