Column Switch - Stuttering

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Column Switch - Stuttering

Post by Arvol »

nightjar84 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 15:29
cosmowe wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 14:55 Ca you make anyhow sure that there is nothing interfering your internal SSD drive.... things like updates, backups, tuneup tools,....ect.
Thanks for your efforts. Much appreciated.

The xternal drive was a regular SSD, 450 MB should be way enough...

What exactly do I have to deactivate and how can I "make sure nothing is interferring with the SSD"...that overreaches my technical knowledge.
If it's just 450MB can you just put it on your internal hard drive. I would try to void running clips off an external at any cost.
What interface is your external? usb2, usb3, TB, etc...

nightjar84
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by nightjar84 »

Arvol wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 15:39
If it's just 450MB can you just put it on your internal hard drive. I would try to void running clips off an external at any cost.
What interface is your external? usb2, usb3, TB, etc...
I already tried that on the MB Pro with a approx. 2 GB/s read...same problem!

It is a Pro SSD connected over USB C and the other one over USB 3.1

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Do you use any kind of remote desktop application such as chrome remote desktop, realVNC, etc...?

Any chance you could share any of your content with us?

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Just tried it with 540p footage scaled up to 200%...same issue!

I want to stress out: It ONLY occurs, after the column had been playing for a while (20-30 sec.), as if Resolume tells the SSD to go to sleep...when I 'quickly' switch between the colomns, it is smooth as butterr.

You can use any footage to recreate this...even the lines provided by resolume arena...We tried it on three different systems:

W10 - i7 4930k, GTX 1080, external SSD over USB C (450MB/s)
High Sierra - MB Pro 2017, 4 GB AMD GPU, 1800 MB/s
El Capitan - MB Pro 2015, 2 GB GPU, 1800 MB/s

Maybe I should try on arena 5? Can I have two version simultaniously installed?

Cheers

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Menno wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 14:55 Are you using the DXV codec?
What is the resolution of the composition?
How many clips are in the column you're triggering?
Yes I am using DVX 3 Full HD

1080 Composition - Slice up in Advanced output for mapping, many layers

It happens defenitely more often when there are more than 3 Clips applied to a columns (max. 9). But i also happens, when I switch to a columns that only has 3 clips applied...
Last edited by nightjar84 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

1. How do you trigger your columns?
  2. Have you tried with previous/next column trigger buttons?
  3. Have you tried to group your layers to see if you get the same behavior by triggering the group columns?
  4. Can you try the example comp with the stock footage and turn off the comp beat snap to 0 to see if you ge the same behavior?

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Oaktown wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 16:21
  1. How do you trigger your columns?
  2. Have you tried with previous/next column trigger buttons?
  3. Have you tried to group your layers to see if you get the same behavior by triggering the group columns?
  4. Can you try the example comp with the stock footage and turn off the comp beat snap to 0 to see if you ge the same behavior?
1. Mouse / Midi / Keayboard --> no difference, midi tends to be buggier
2. Grouping blends the layer together right? I can't do that because of the output mapping
3. doesn't happen with the stock footage...though the example project is also not mapped / sliced up...maybe it has something to do with that.

UPDATE:

Just created a new 1080p composition with no mapping applied in advaced output, just "full screen output" --> happens there as well with multiple clips applied to a columns...and again; only if one colum had been playing for a while

Add Info

I rendere over AME with DVX 3 set to "high quality, no alpha"

UPDATE 2

Just rendered a clip with the codec set to "normal, no alpha" --> same problems!

UPDATE 3

Doesn't happen in the Sample Project with Resolumes Sample Footage...though that sample footage is very short compared to my 15+ sec. Clips...if I apply my footage in the sample projects with multiple clips..the problem is there again...(so it can't be the wrong settings of the composition?)
Last edited by nightjar84 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 18:51, edited 2 times in total.

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Here is a sample clip: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6nnrynxbla3 ... VI-3a?dl=0

==> put 3-9 of those on a layer, let it run for approx 30 seconds, then switch to another column

==> if you switch after a few seconds it will most likely be smooth as butter

----

There where some suggestion her to change seeting în the nvidia tab / diable processes that could interfere; I would need clear directions what to enable / disable (both on mac & windows)

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

UPDATE 4

Tried the Sample footage provided by Resolume in my composition...after you let it run for a while it stutters as well! So it is neither determined by the length of the clip nor the exact DVX 3 format...in the loast few teste; didn't happen in the example composition (though i managed to get the stuttering with the 1080p footage, not with the 720p)

It doesn't happen in the example project, so it must somehow relate to the way my composition is set up with the mapping.

Here I provide the Composition as well as the advance output preset: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6nnrynxbla3 ... VI-3a?dl=0

UPDATE 5

On the Macbook I run in to stuttering when applying multiple Full HD clips (in this case 6)in a column of the example project) - it also happens when I use the 720p sample footage of Resolume

Important the stuttering seems to be much more prominent, when transition on each layer is enabled

==> I'm pretty confident it has something to do with how arena gets acces to hard disks/ssds..

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

UPDATE 6

Created an external SSD RAID with 800 MB/s - problem presits! Either there is something messed up in the settings (highly unlikly) or THIS IS A RESOLUME ARENA BUG / PROBLEM