Crazy low FPS

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Crazy low FPS

Post by mfo »

Any feedback on this?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Man.... I really don't know. Sorry that isn't the answer you're looking to hear.

I've had bad fps 2 times in the last 4 years. ALL of which was fixed by using a different driver.
BUT, I don't use AMD, So I'm kind of shooting blind here.

This really isn't what you're looking for, but have you tried Windows 7?
When the Falls creators update came out, I was 1 more problem away from moving all 12 of my servers back to Windows 7.
Since the spring update and using a slightly older driver, I've been back to my normal FPS performance.

Since AMD and their drivers are something I really don't deal with, another suggestion might be to look on the AMD forums to see if any VR users are having similar issues. I know for nVidia there were ALL KINDS of people pissed off at the falls creators update, because it killed their VR performance (so I linked the 2 user groups of VR and Resolume, as needing the same performance and both taking fps hits together)

Maybe there would be a VR guy on AMD's forums that found a solution (if they're having the same issues?)

Wish there was more I could do. If it was Nvidia, I would say let me team view in and I can play with drivers and settings for you, but I really wouldn't know where to start with AMD.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

mfo

Post by mfo »

Oh, I don't expect you to pull a rabit out of your hat and fix it magically. Though that would be stunning!

At this stage it would simply be helpful if Resolume B.V. - a company that charges a very high and certainly appropriate license fee - recognizes this as a major issue. Thinking of all the other posts about Radeon-based laptops; and thinking of Radeon Vega (which is Intel(!) and AMD) is being introduced in prime-models of various big brands. This problem will grow and it needs to be worked on.

By no means this is to say it is a problem Resolume caused. It is not. Windows 10 remains a pain in the butt when it comes to graphics and displays. Yet this problem has been delivered to Resolume's front porch and needs to be dealt with.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

With all due respect, I don't think there is such a major issue with AMD cards. We always make sure we have a variety of hardware running in the office, and have a several AMD based machines, both Mac and PC. All are running within the expected parameters. Also, even though Nvidia is currently dominating the gaming market, we'd be drowning in support mails if Resolume's performance on AMD was so terrible across the board.

I'm not saying that you and other users are not having issues. Far from it. But just like the whole Windows 10 / Optimus issue that's affecting some people but not others, I think you're getting bit in the ass by a combination of drivers, hardware and software all sending conflicting information and Resolume getting really confused about it.

The problem is that we make software, not hardware. So we're essentially tied to what the graphic drivers tell us to do. It's not like we actively decide to throttle performance to 30 Hz. We simply ask the driver at what framerate the displays can be refreshed, and then that's what we work with.

In your case, it's obvious Resolume is not performing as well as it should, based on the specs of the card. Maybe that's something we can do something about, maybe that's something which AMD, Microsoft or the hardware manufacturer need to address. To get an idea, first we'd need to see the problem for ourselves and run some diagnostic tests. The best way to do that, would be to have the hardware here in our office.

Now as mentioned, our AMD based machines run as expected, so the next best thing would be to send over your problem setup. Is that something you're up for? We'll be happy to take care of the shipping and insurance costs.

mfo

Post by mfo »

Ho Joris,
as said, I don't think this is a problem Resolume created, rather something that crashed our party.
In that sense thanks for looking into it, I'll happily send the new notebook over.
Details per mail I suppose?!

szigligetifeny
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by szigligetifeny »

have the same problem with a Macbook pro m2 pro laptop, using Atomos Conncect 2 it can send a blurry image to an external projector or TV, for example! what might be the problem? Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Low fps and blurry image?

Sounds like too low bandwidth for NDI, like bad reception.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu