Projection inside bigger projection

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Projection inside bigger projection

Post by Grimm90 »

Hii ! I'm a bit stuck here so i hope your advice could help me out..

I have a gig coming where they asked if i could install a 20k full hd projector to map a stage (the red square in the drawing).

Inside this stage there should be another projection where i blend 2 short throws full hd's, above each other to achieve a higher resolution / better focus on the inside structure, which is 3m deeper than the outside structure.
This makes a 1920x 1810px surface with the blend.

I'm mostly confused how to setup my resolume composition, so i can see what's going on with all outputs, how would you tackle this ?

I started with a 1920 x 1810px resolution in composition settings , made a group for the outer structure , another group for the inner structure.
Then in advanced output with 3 screens, i blended the 2 screens of the inside structure and routed the right group as input. The outer structure projector takes it image from the other group.

But if i setup my composition this way , i can't monitor both groups and see whats going on in my output monitor . That's annoying .
Do I create a composition that is 3840 x 1810px , and divide your parts / clips left & right of this composition so you can see both in the output monitor as a side by side picture or are there other ways to go around this ?

I use mostly a effects and masks on custom rendered content, so is this "big composition" approach not using a lot of extra resources to calculate effects on pixels which get no output in the end ?

I hope i was able to explain my question here , it's hard to put vj issues in words :o
Projectors px.JPG

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Projection inside bigger projection

Post by Oaktown »

Here is a quick tutorial on how I would set this up:
phpBB [video]

As you will see, I took it one step further and added a preview monitor for the final composition since there was some room for it.

Also, to make it easier to follow along, you will find the composition and advanced output XML files at the following link:https://drive.google.com/…/1PWHckG2Tadg ... Ho0xleokA…

Also I hope you don't mind that I linked this post in the Facebook Resolume Group to make this tutorial useful for others.

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

I don't think i ever had such an accurate response on a forum :o thank you very much !
Ofcourse i don't mind you sharing, i hope it can help more people :)

Love that you added the final composition preview great idea! It got my mind going im trying to make a similar preview look my macbook through NDI to have a better view than the output monitor in resolume.

Thx Oaktown !

subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by subpixel »

You can keep your 1920x1810 Composition idea and add a fourth output device with whatever arrangement of Layers and Groups you want to see.

You can:
  • specify your local screen as the device if you are happy to have that take over your UI;
  • specify Spout/Syphon as the output and create a new top layer in your Composition that pulls that custom layout back in for viewing within the UI (or some other local Spout/Syphon viewing app); or
  • specify NDI as the output to send it to a separate viewer over a gigabit network.
You can Bypass the rendering of the Groups in the main Composition and still have the Groups available as Slice sources for Advanced Output.

See: [Solution] Build your own interface (using Advanced Output)
http://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12074

-spxl

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Yup i see how that would work , thanks for the advice ! I tried going the NDI route but for some reason that was eating too many frame rates , and the receiver machine was getting a super stop motion video so i let it out and i survived the gig , but surely something to look into now :) thx !